Battery Replacement

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I'm gonna be replacing the batteries in my truck soon. What's the proper procedure to follow? I'm thinking one at a time. Thanks. :baby:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
neg first. no chance of shorting pos then
Disconnect both negatives then both positives. When reconnecting, connect the positives first and then connect the negatives. That will prevent any short from arcing a hot positive to something else on the truck. If you have a factory radio, the presets should be saved in the radio. You would only need to set the clock.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
.......... so there's a procedure? ??
Well I had both out at the same time....nuttin happened
what are you replacing them with?

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I was going to go with Odyssey but they're pretty expensive. So for now I'm going to try these "Platinum" batteries from a parts store that a friend is running in his DMax. If they don't work out I'll go with Odyssey.

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Bump:)
I finally got around to getting this done. I ended up going with those auto part store "Platinum" ones (800 cca). I did what JoshH posted and only had to reset the clock. FYI the terminals are 8mm, the hold downs are 13mm, and I had to remove a small bar from above the driv. side battery, those bolts were 10mm.

66GMC

Mar 27, 2012
Hi Fellas.
Sorry to "piggy-back" on your thread ... but it's relative, I think.

I work at a rural NAPA store in Alberta Canada, and I have had a couple of calls from newer (2008+) Duramax owners.

NAPA catalog lists #48-9AGM (BCI Group 48 Absorbed Glass Mat construction) which of course are hella expensive.

Although not listed in the catalog for this application, NAPA also has a lead-acid battery #48-6 ... which is considerably less expensive.

Some stories have been floating around ... eluding to the fact that Lead-Acid batteries screw up your charging system ... etc.:rolleyes:

Our battery rep tells us that AGM batteries were OPTIONAL on these trucks. He recommends them if it's a work truck that sits around idling, has a laptop, GPS, cell-phone, DVD, and an I-Pad (You know the type):roflmao:

So anyway ... I'm the "I'm from Missouri" type and thought I'd like to hear the opinions from the guys that know these trucks best ... you.

Thanks,
Don

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
INTERSTATE all the way baby! Best wet cell out there! Also if you get one of those 9 volt battery do-hickey thing-a-ma-bob thing that plugs into you cig port you lose no settings. Works great!

Interstate MTP-78

darkside

Sep 15, 2011
left coast
I had a Dodge cummins for years and ran Optimas. I like the fact I had no corosion and they lasted. I ran them for 8 yrs and they were still going strong when I sold the truck. I now have a duramaax and will replace the batteries with the AGMs when these fail. To me they are worth the added cost