LB7: Bad blue smoke @idle!!??

nick1camper

Aug 7, 2008
Southern Iowa
Hi all! So, seems the majority feel that at idle, blue smoke is bad injectors. Is this correct, or could it possibly be something else? Turbo seals maybe? I just HATE the thought of spending a ton of money for stupid overpriced injectors. My truck is an 01 with 150K. Out of warrenty. Thing is, it still runs good and has no fuel in the oil that I can tell. Tried the paper towel test, and looks good, not overfull either. Any suggestions?? Will it hurt it to run it that way as long as there is no fuel in the oil?? I can't afford the injectors right now......might be cheaper to trade for newer!(hate to say it, but maybe a cummins??) :(

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I thought the 01 trucks had a 200k mile warranty on injector stuff?

messejme

Jazzy, Me and Max
Mar 7, 2008
Branchburg NJ
Try disconnecting the turbo oil supply line from the turbo and grasp the end firmly between your lips with the hole aiming into your mouth so as to create a perfect positive seal.Have your wife, girlfriend or male domestic partner start the vehicle and observe if the blue smoke goes away.This could take as long as fifteen minutes for the oil in the exhaust system to burn off.:eek:Do not swallow.

Could be your turbo or your injectors:D

nick1camper

Aug 7, 2008
Southern Iowa
Try disconnecting the turbo oil supply line from the turbo and grasp the end firmly between your lips with the hole aiming into your mouth so as to create a perfect positive seal.Have your wife, girlfriend or male domestic partner start the vehicle and observe if the blue smoke goes away.This could take as long as fifteen minutes for the oil in the exhaust system to burn off.:eek:Do not swallow.

Um, are you on drugs? :WTF2:

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida

:rofl: This is got to be the funniest shit i have ever heard. holy shit :rofl:

nick1camper

Aug 7, 2008
Southern Iowa
Ok, took the truck to a local diesel shop. The guy hooked a tech II to it and turned off each injector one by one. He said all of them were functioning, and to, before we dig deaper, replace the fuel filter again, this time fill it w/Seafoam. So I did that tonight. It stumbled a bit but idled fine. I let it idle for about 10mins and reved it a few times. MAN DID IT SMOKE!! Took it to the highway and it took a good 2 miles before it cleared up. Got back to town, idled it back to the house and it seemed to be smoking less, but still smoked a bit. I had just filled up at FS fuel 24(have never got fuel there before). The mechanic also told me to try their fuel. After the filter change, then added Howes to the fresh tank.
I'm hoping for the best, but we'll see over the next few days if it still smokes as bad. If so, back to the testing and new injectors I guess! (and a bare wallet!!)