Are plastic fuel filters really that bad?

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I installed a Napa Gold fuel filter with the plastic body on my LML about 2 months ago, it's one that I had bought probably a year ago and never used. I have since read a lot of negative comments about the plastic filters, but a lot of it seemed like opinion rather than facts and numbers. I have an extra OEM AC Delco TP3012 sitting on the shelf in the garage now, and need to pull the fender liner off anyway to re-mate the downpipe to the exhaust since I've been getting smoke and fuel smell when the truck goes into regen, wondering if I should change the fuel filter back to OEM again while I'm in there. Thoughts?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Sounds like plenty of guys have issue with them. If they where that bad though I wouldn't think they wouldn't make them since No one would want them. I'm sure we only represent a small portion of the # of filters sold.

I haven't used any yet because I buy my filter in bulk and only change the stocker every 30-40K, but I'm not sure if I have any on my shelf or not. I would be more concerned using them up north in freezing conditions.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
If it was on my LLY where the DIC fuel filter life runs about 10-15k miles I'd just wait and change it next time it recommends, but I got 50-60k out of the first filter on the LML before it recommended a change, and if they really are inferior I'd rather get it out of there, especially since I've been reading about the CP4 failures. But...I don't want to throw a good filter away just for the hell of it either.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Here's the skinny on aftermarket filters like these in question. The oem filter manufacture normally has a patent on the product so if an aftermarket company wants to make a replace part they have to change the design somehow so that it is not exactly the same as the original. Sometimes it is no big deal and other times it's a big deal. We have towed in a bunch of trucks with the plastic filter because they had air leaks. If you have a lift pump then it will just leak if there is an issue with it.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Just run it til its due to change. Then dont use one again. We get dozens of trucks with some sort of plastic one that run fine. We only use AC filters to replace though.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
AFAIK its not really the plastic itself thats the issue, just the overall filter when compared with the Racor made AC Delco.

The Napa/Wix has a Nominal Micron rating of 7 while the Racor is 4.

The Racor is also supposedly better at removing water than the other filters. It does use a coalescing media and I cannot find if the NAPA one does or does not. Napa simply says it has a paper element. The coalescing media is needed to remove the water from ULSD and Bio fuels. Its found in the factory filters on many modern diesels.

I trust Wix/NAPA Gold filters for most everything and use them as my main filter source for the farm and our equipment. Theres enough circumstances where I will use a different brand or OEM filter over the NAPA though. Some things that are under warranty its just one less thing to worry about should there be a major warranty issue, some filters where the quality is noticably better and the price is reasonable (many CAT filters), some filters where the NAPA price is higher than the OEM filter price (Allison), and the filters for the Euro cars, I choose to use MANN instead of NAPA because they are basically the same price and are very good quality.

As a general rule of thumb though, if I had a life and didn't micro manage little things so much like I do, I would just use all NAPA Gold like I used to. Its very nice just having one brand on the shelf if possible. They are not always the cheapest filters when compare with some other aftermarket brands, but they are a quality filter. I didn't have many issues with them when I used to use them on trucks but every once and awhile one wouldn't thread right, or wouldn't seal.

In this case though, I use the AC Delco TP3012. I don't feel it will cure cancer like some people seem to, but I do feel/suspect it is a better filter. It's not much more than the NAPA filter so its not a big deal to use it instead.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I have no proof of this but I believe wix/napa/purolator and all other plastic filters are the same thing with different stickers

False.

Wix does make Napa's filter media, but their proprietary filter media is only used in wix filters.

That is straight from Wix.

elliottw

Jan 23, 2013
ND
Couldn't give me those filters to run, I replace them all the time at work. Cat with adapter for me.

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
There have been two known problems with the plastic filters (both WIX and NAPA, IIRC). One is a poor seal around the outlet. The rubber seal fits loosely and can allow large particles to get past the seal and into the CP3 and injectors, never a good thing. The other problem is a poor seal on the WIF sensor threads, allowing the filter to suck air and cause limp. The new, improved plastic, however, doesn't rust...

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
IMO I would only run 2 filters - Either the GM one, or a CAT 1R-0750 (or 1R-0749). These are two of the best quality IMO. Both are 2 micron. Cleanliness is of the utmost importance with any CR fuel system. You might get away with a 4 or a 10 micron but over time, or in the event you take on a bad load of fuel, premature failure is much more likely. This is part of the reason GM went from a 10 micron that they started with on the LB7 to updating all to the 2 micron.

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
I would personally never wait for the truck to tell me to change fuel filters. IMO, thats too long. I have a cat adapter on mine which the filters are 2 micron which is better than factory filters. I change my oil every 4k miles, and 6k on fuel filter, for $15 bucks a filter, its cheap insurance. On a highly modded truck north of 750hp, I would change everything more often than that. Cheap insurance and if something is wrong your more likely to catch it before something is catastrophic.