Question: Anyone having problems with a 2009 5.3?

BUST'EM 504

Oct 7, 2009
My dad has a 2009 silverado z71 that has been in out of the dealer 8 times. Today's trip will make number 9. Some of main problems are power loss with no warning and smoking like a broken stove. The dealer has yet to replace the engine but has replaced the valves 3 times, heads twice, and kinds of misc. stuff. He has been looking into the lemon law but Chevrolet states that it's been a slightly different problem every time he brings it in. Just wondering if anyone else has experience with this problem/s.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
Bull shit. They just don't want to buy it back. My best friend had the same issues with his truck. GM bought it back. Would use 2 quarts of oil in 250 miles. Get a attorney and go for it.

BUST'EM 504

Oct 7, 2009
Iron block and it does not have the fuel saving option. Although that's what it feels like its doing like it loose one bank of cylinders. They have also replaced the cam twice and all new sensors. The funny thing is the truck would only do it intermittently.

BUST'EM 504

Oct 7, 2009
Bull shit. They just don't want to buy it back. My best friend had the same issues with his truck. GM bought it back. Would use 2 quarts of oil in 250 miles. Get a attorney and go for it.

Exactly we will if nothing comes from this trip. It's gotten so bad they know my dad by name. He came unglued when the dealer wanted to charge him for the oil and filters the forth time it went in. The bad thing is we have several Chevys. shit like this makes you want to see if the grass is greener somewhere else.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
All makes have problems. Customer service sounds to be lacking. Id say sounds like u need to go to another dealer. When people dont stand behind there product it pisses me off also.

Last edited:

BUST'EM 504

Oct 7, 2009
I agree with you. We have taken it to two dealers and both have the same result. They say it's fixed then he drives it and something goes wrong.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
The 2014's are out:D has anyone got one yet!!! I would say get a shop that will actual find the problem, instead of replacing parts and hoping it will fix it. Most of the time, these are not dealers.:(

BUST'EM 504

Oct 7, 2009
Sounds pretty low for a 2009.

That's what I thought 4 door z71 with everything but a sunroof. I told him 25 and 5 grand.

The only problem with a shop is you come out of pocket for everything and all they are doing is fixing problems as they occur. The truck needs a new motor and Chevy knows it.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
That's what I thought 4 door z71 with everything but a sunroof. I told him 25 and 5 grand.

The only problem with a shop is you come out of pocket for everything and all they are doing is fixing problems as they occur. The truck needs a new motor and Chevy knows it.
Wouldnt it be much better for GM to install a brand new motor in it and be done with it?

Oh and their 1st offer is never their last,puch them a little more.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
With all the problems and a "dirty" car fax why would GM want it back to re-sell! The next guy will be even bitch'ier! :roflmao:

They best truck it across country to auction it off.
Good luck :)

BUST'EM 504

Oct 7, 2009
Just making sure my dad and weren't the only two sensible people in the universe. They literally argued on why they can't put a motor in the truck. It's been a week since we dropped it off and we still in the same boat