Question: Anyone have experience with the 257b cat skidsteer

BUST'EM 504

Oct 7, 2009
I am looking at getting a skidsteer a buddy of mine has a 257b cat but ive heard aome mixed reviews. Any tips or stuff to stay away from

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

BUST'EM 504

Oct 7, 2009
Ive heard they had track problems and turbo issues but you kniw how that goes.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
If your going to mob around in the mud I would skip it. The rollers are not sealed very well and fail pretty easy, that is the track issue... As far as the turbo, most of that stems from Jackasses not maintaing them properly, filthy air filters and engine oil. Other than that, there a pretty good machine. Like anything if you neglect it, it will bite you.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I had one for a while, it was a little on the weak side for that size machine.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Bobcat makes a better machine. The cat is Perkins powered and they have reliability issues.

Only reliability issues I have seen, has been from people not maintaining them...

I had the unfortunate opportunity to work on your so called "better Bobcat" um no thanks:rofl:

black07

Oct 8, 2011
Pa
A 257 is a pretty small machine, for the size of them they do pretty well. I think you take any other brand that's the same size you will be disappointed if you compare them.

BUST'EM 504

Oct 7, 2009
Ive heard alot of good things about the bobcats. But this one is for sale locally. I may keep looking. Seems as there are some better options out there.

DieselmafiaLLY

Keep Calm and Go Crazy
Apr 6, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Sounds like you need to do your research first then choose the best one for your application not the most convenient

BUST'EM 504

Oct 7, 2009
Yes I am actively doing my research. The bobcat seems to be the better choice. But I will keep looking. Thanks for all the answers.

I will be using mostly at my land clearing small trees. And loading gravel.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I like Cat, but bobcat seem pretty good too. We rented a Komatsu and where pretty impressed with it. We where climbing a muddy slopes redoing some erosion control. And the Komatsu seemed a bit more powerful, but our cat wasn't the best maintained.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Bobcat makes a better machine. The cat is Perkins powered and they have reliability issues.

I disagree. Bobcat and Cat make the two top end machines. If you get a later Cat it will have a Mitsupillar which was a great engine.

I like Cat for various reasons but you have to compare equally. Remeber a 257 is an MTL and only ASV offers a truely competitive advantage. Other models are CTL's and SSL's.

our three original new Kitties when we switched from NH in 2012. Onlt one of these kitties is left. They have been awesome.