Info: Anybody here good with Surfcam?

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I'm having a problem with a particular feature on a part:mad:. I will post a pic in a minute.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Having a problem machining small radius (.062) using 1/8 ball mill, I need tool to step down farther ( generate more clearance) so 1/2 end mill can finish the remainder of the part. This is 4 axis machine routine.

Vane problem.JPG

Attachments

• Vane problem.JPG
    Vane problem.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 20

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
I don't really understand what you are asking. And I don't know Surfcam. But why are you going from a smaller tool to a bigger one? Most of the time I would think you would use bigger tools to rough and finish the bigger areas then use a "restmill" type toolpath to do the other areas. Or, in certain cases use the smaller tool to finish everything....assuming you can live with a really small stepover amount if surface finish is of large concern.

Also if your radius is .062 and your tool is defined as .125 dia, that might cause some problems depending on how the tolerances are set.....again don't know Surfcam

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Going to finish the part in one pass. Small tool takes to long and makes program to large. Basically tool will start at top of part and widdle down, leaving a finished surface. This part is thin, so I want to keep it rigid, for as long as possible. Thats why I want to finish from the top down, so the stock keeps the part rigid.

Surface finish is a big concern, pay no attention to the finished I posted, just did that so my CPU doesn't spend 10 min generating a tool path.

I'm not very good with ssurfcam, this is prolly really easy:eek:

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
One suggestion would be if you are using a "parallel" type toolpath where the step over is rigidly adhered to by the CAM software, that could be a problem. You didn't give very much info, so I'm kinda throwing darts here. Is it a toolpath where you can enter max scallop height, or some sort of devation from drive surfaces?

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
One suggestion would be if you are using a "parallel" type toolpath where the step over is rigidly adhered to by the CAM software, that could be a problem. You didn't give very much info, so I'm kinda throwing darts here. Is it a toolpath where you can enter max scallop height, or some sort of devation from drive surfaces?

Toolpath is planar, and in Increments. I can post pick of cut control screen, if you would like?

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I know I'm not giving a lot of info, its cause I'm a noob.

cut control.JPG

Attachments

• cut control.JPG
    cut control.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 13

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
Like I said, I don't know Surfcam. But the words "planar" and "increments" would suggest you told it to stepover lets say .005 or .010. No? If you are only dealing with a radius equal to the tool radius, it will skip some passes, as you would need your stepover amount to fall into a perfect multiple of the radius and it's location from where the toolpath started.

Post it up.

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
I'd say step type "increment" is most likely what I was referring to. It looks like you had it at .1 for the quick toolpath for demonstration. Again, I don't know Surfcam, but if you are trying to drive a tool into a tight radius there is probably a better choice than that. If you have it set for .1 on a .062 rad, you aren't even going to get close. Might use that toolpath to rough, then use some type of scallop, pencil, or other toolpath to get you closer to the outer bounds.