Another New Guy... Help

Duramax52513

Jun 23, 2013
What's up guys my name is Mike and I have an 04 Chevy Duramax that I purchased stock about a year ago. I just recently added the AFE stage 2 cold air intake and I cut the muffler out to get a deeper exhaust tone. I'm starting to have some problems and need help but I'm new to this forum and I'm not sure where I go to post something for help. Please help me out guys

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
:hello: and :welcome5:

If you tell me what type of problem your having I can tell you where to post it or post it where you think it should go and if it is the wrong place myself or one of the Mods will move it:thumb:

Duramax52513

Jun 23, 2013
After I added the cold air intake and cut the muffler out I raced a truck leaving a red light and down the highway. I blew a bunch of smoke and everything was good. Ever since that day I feel like my truck is lagging and I don't have as much power. I took it to a buddies shop and hooked it to a scanner and at idle I'm running 15 psi boost pressure? When i hit the gas I only peak at 17 psi boost pressure. I don't know what caused that or how to even fix it. I don't have any check engine lights on either.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
You shouldn't have 15 psi at idle you should have zero.and you should build least 25 28 at wot being mostly stock.I would say look for a intercooler boot that blew off but that still doesn't explain why you would have 15 psi at idle.Check your boots and make sure they are all on I wonder if your buddy was looking at the wrong thing.

Duramax52513

Jun 23, 2013
I was told that the way it was running it could be bad injectors, bad wastegate, bad turbo, bad map sensor. There aren't any true diesel shops around here that's why I got on this forum for help. I don't think it's a waste gate problem because I took the boost line running from the turbo to the waste gate off and you can't feel any air coming through the line when you put your thumb over it. I wasn't sure also since I have more airflow am I not getting enough fuel and that's why I have the lag?

Snowbound98

Jun 28, 2013
Chicagoland
How bout the turbo vain sensor? Maybe that is bad and its not letting the vains adjust properly in the turbo. But you would have to be running hard at an idle to see 15psi. I'm new here too. I'm just throwing my .02 in. Does it sound like u have 15psi of boost at the tailpipe? Maybe the boost sensor is faulty. Install a gauge. It's good to have anyway.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
How bout the turbo vain sensor? Maybe that is bad and its not letting the vains adjust properly in the turbo. But you would have to be running hard at an idle to see 15psi. I'm new here too. I'm just throwing my .02 in. Does it sound like u have 15psi of boost at the tailpipe? Maybe the boost sensor is faulty. Install a gauge. It's good to have anyway.
He has a LB7 its a fixed charger,but X2 on getting some gauges going to tell whats really going on.

e46_330i

Jun 26, 2013
Youngsville, NC
#1 that 15psi is Baro pressure. Every vehicle, N/A or boosted, has 14.7PSI in the intake manifold.
#2 you aren't going to build that much boost in park. Need to load the engine. So free reving it and seeing boost is good. Now how much smoke is it blowing? Could be something as simple as a boost leak or exhaust leak. Turbo would usually either be blowing white smoke or chattering/whining from bad bearings.

Duramax52513

Jun 23, 2013
its not blowing any smoke at all, and no it doesnt sound like im boosting at idle thats just what the scanner had showed