Allison 6sp: Am I paranoid or is it slipping?

Fat_Robi

I may be wrong, but...
Sep 7, 2008
Las Vegas, NV / Provo,UT
If my truck was starting to slip in 5th and 6th gears it would go into limp mode right? sometimes I think I am slipping but it does not really shoot up in RPM so maybe I am just paranoid? Limp mode would let me know when it is not happy right?

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
mine has only limped once and it was due to a tie-up but she does slip quite a bit with no limp mode showing. i have punched it full throttle on the highway in 5th with my twins on and you can watch the tach climb out of synch with the speedo and feel the slip. no limp mode when slipping :-/

i would say it is definitly possible you are slipping just not limping. good luck i don't wish wounded trannies on anybody no matter how bad we all deserve them lol!

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
If my truck was starting to slip in 5th and 6th gears it would go into limp mode right? sometimes I think I am slipping but it does not really shoot up in RPM so maybe I am just paranoid? Limp mode would let me know when it is not happy right?

Sounds like a loose converter.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I feel my truck vibrate pretty decent when i roll into it in high gear... Get to about 2100 RPM and it shutters kinda and the RPMS raise very quickly to about 2250-2300. Does that sound like the convertor aswell Mike? I've never had a code pop up for slippage, do our truck's only log clutch slippage or both converter and clutch?

EDIT: Just took a drive, it actually slips from 1800 to 2000 RPM. Don't know if that makes a difference or not

Last edited:

Bako_Dmax

GTO Slayer
Apr 3, 2008
Bako
When my truck had fried c1s it would slip like crazy and no limp mode. May be different for the higher gears. I limped my trans from the 4th to 5th shift before when it was stock and it didnt feel like it was slipping at all then.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
For some reason the Alli is very slow to throw any converter clutch slip code. Years ago I accidently blew off a TCC sealing ring with air gun and it took 85 miles for it to throw a code. This Alli had no TCC for 85 miles.

To answer another question; the TCM will only read TCC slip. Trans slip will show up with an incorrect ratio code ( limp ).

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Before I built my trans it would stick in gear sometimes. Id be going on the freeway and shift 1-2-3 and stay in third. No codes or anything. Peculiar little beasts these things are

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Limps mostly occur on the gear change.
When my TC was shot I could get into it on the highway and the truck wouldn't accel much. Like stated, the tach and speedo wont match too well. You'll know when its time.

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
My truck will free rev the RPM's and not limp. It use to limp if I got on it too hard in 5th gear. Now it just slips and doesn't go in limp mode. I haven't limped it in awhile but it's getting easier to slip it.

Fat_Robi

I may be wrong, but...
Sep 7, 2008
Las Vegas, NV / Provo,UT
Hope your dad isn't reading this Robi:rofl:

I don't think he reads diesel forums anymore, if he has a question he will ask me if I know the answer or ask me to look it up. Fortunately I am getting close to what I need for transmission parts. Thank you federal government for educational pell grants!

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Sounds like you guys are toasting converters?? I don't see how the trans would not limp if the c1-c5s were slipping.