Question: Aluminum stock drive shaft?

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
When would be a good time to upgrade, how much will it take? Im thinking about getting a steel one made for Corries truck but not sure if its really needed? Truck will be lucky to be 575hp, running 33/12.50 sts tires, 3rd gear only?

Thoughts?

Thanx
Caleb

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
i have seen a couple twisted ones. i would have one made as preventative maintenance.

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
That kinda what i was thinking, i allready talked to Mark about one, just wanted a few more thoughts!! THanx, Id like to keep the alum. one in one peice so i prob just do it for the sake of doin it!

Thanx
CAleb

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
I have twisted two stock shafts on same track (very hard pulling track). I was just running 285/55/20 tarra grapplers.

I did not have traction bars or anything besides spring clamps to keep the axle from wrapping. I am blaming that as the culprit but I don't know :dontknow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo--ZhfJeo0

here's a vid of one

Last edited:

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I need to do this bad. I have a spot where the shaft was rubbing on my driveshaft loops and I am terrified thats where its going to break:(

How much did mark quote a steel one for? Also what joints are you going to?

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
I need to do this bad. I have a spot where the shaft was rubbing on my driveshaft loops and I am terrified thats where its going to break:(

How much did mark quote a steel one for? Also what joints are you going to?

He said 275/300ish using the transfer case slip yoke from the stocker with 2 new joints.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I never did any testing on big trucks like ours but I did some big time testing when I was into Mustang Cobra's. When I switched to the aluminum shaft my acceleration was much quicker off the line and my 60ft times were better. It was night and day. I was selling custom aluminum shafts to a lot of Cobra owners and they all improved. I believe less rotating mass will help.

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
CC/SB and ec/lb trucks ar ethe only ones that have aluminum right? Mine has a steel, and all the ec/sb trucks i see have steel on peicers?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
i thought the cc sb was the only one with an alum. shaft.

regardless, get a steel one or a massive alum. one because the stocker is known to become a pretzel in workstock level trucks frequently.

C-ya

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
I never did any testing on big trucks like ours but I did some big time testing when I was into Mustang Cobra's. When I switched to the aluminum shaft my acceleration was much quicker off the line and my 60ft times were better. It was night and day. I was selling custom aluminum shafts to a lot of Cobra owners and they all improved. I believe less rotating mass will help.

It is the same for these trucks as well from our testing and that is why we offer the 6" T6061 Aluminum shaft. Yes it is spendy but definitely worth it in my eyes. I will be taking the factory steel shaft out of my personal truck and putting in our aluminum shaft. Rotating mass is just that and the more you can do to reduce the amount of mass the better off you will be. They have proven themselves on the track were it counts the most.:thumb:

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
I paid $275 for my steel one but I provided the slip yoke off an old shaft I had. (I kept my stocker in one piece to have a spare to carry with us). All are made at Republic Diesel near me.

Mitch - my 02 ec/lb has the big pop can driveshaft as well.

Caleb - my buddy spit one out at Smokin the Bluegrass a few years back on a WS truck. Just bit a little hard at the end of the run.

Last edited: