Allison whining 3-4 shift

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Transmission just started doing this, sometimes on the third to fourth shift it makes a whining sound, like when you hear frequency through your radio with a aux cord or something and it gets louder with the rpm, it's just like that but sometimes it will do it right after the shift. Sounds like it's electrical trying to engage something but the truck runs perfectly fine. Could it be the NSBU switch going out? Sound is coming from right under the driver floor board.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Edit!!!! Disregard my thoughts on tc if you read that. Do you have a single fixed geometry turbo? They can make a funny noise, mine did after certain shifts... Slick bore large frame turbo.

Last edited:

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Wonder if I will be able to see it in a log even knw everything still shifts fine. Might have low pressure or something.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
My buddies truck started a few weeks ago. It whines at idle and upto about 15-1600 rpm then goes away. We're pulling it in the next few weeks but so far it hasn't showed any signs of decreased holding ability.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Ya mine just does it every now and then and sounds like it's engaging something but when it whines then sounds like it engages it's nothing different. I can kick it into neutral while it's doing it and it will stop whining.

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
How long ago was your tranny built? Check the cooler fittings on the side of the transmission to make sure they are tight.

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
It ain't the filter, it's brand new, and now it just started making a grinding sound.. Does it in second, fourth and reverse. I think it's my TC that's where the grinding sound is coming from

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
I wonder if you have a torrington that has failed. When you say filter is new are you referring to soon on or internal? May want to pull the pan and check for debris.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
I wonder if you have a torrington that has failed. When you say filter is new are you referring to soon on or internal? May want to pull the pan and check for debris.

Both are new, fluid is new to. I just went through the whole trans to replace the P2. I'm pretty sure it's not a Torrington bearing because it's not loud at all and it only does it in those gears then goes away. It's strange truck still drives normal to. Normal temps, no low fluid, still shifts fine and smooth, no slippage. It's parked though now so I don't tear anything else up just in case. It doesn't whine anymore though now. Lol.

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
If you just had it open, it's possible to have installed a bearing improperly. Hearing it in certain gears rules out the converter and pump by my thinking, however I have been wrong before, curious to see what you find, keep us updated.