?? about switching tunes during a run

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I remember Kennedy or another racer mentioning using a stock-ish lower-tq tune to get off the line, then changing to max tuning down the track with the DSP5 switch.
That was a great idea, and I'll bet quite a few of you guys employ that strategy.
It just doesnt seem repeatable timing-wise to me.
So, is there a way to electronically switch tunes during a run down the track? Could there be a way? Something based off WOT and a timer so the tune change always happens at the same time?

Or am I completely offbase again and need to get back working on my truck?

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
No Tom, your not way off track with it. Hell, Kory and I both did it with our own trucks. Just depends on setup and what you are trying to achieve. There are multiply ways to do it. Yes, you need to get back to work on your truck!:thumb:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Well, I think it would help everyone, irregardless of setup. In my case, I'm thinking that if/when I get the little truck done, Im going to need more than just proper suspension setup to get traction off the line.

I wonder if Ben could come up with something like his lockup box for switching?

Yeah, I have to get back working on it. :hehe:

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
There are other ways of doing this as well. You can use the max fuel vs airflow tables to limit your fueling on the launch as well. Once the turbo or turbos come all the way up you can have the table set to then allow full fueling....

That requires very good tuning of that table though.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
There are other ways of doing this as well. You can use the max fuel vs airflow tables to limit your fueling on the launch as well. Once the turbo or turbos come all the way up you can have the table set to then allow full fueling....

That requires very good tuning of that table though.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Unfortunately it won't work in all situations like with mine since I leave the line at full boost(40psi+) and had to wait til lockup to apply full power. Your thinking is correct but doesn't work across the board unfortunately.

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
Unfortunately it won't work in all situations like with mine since I leave the line at full boost(40psi+) and had to wait til lockup to apply full power. Your thinking is correct but doesn't work across the board unfortunately.

Exactly- I tried doing this with my truck, but grams/sec were already pretty well maxed by the time i left the line- so it deemed the airflow useless for limiting.

It would be cool if Ben Tyler built a box that used Speed vs dsp voltage.... Seems pretty easy... Then you could just use that at X speed to hit full fuel OR voltage vs lockup.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I really appreciate the professional tuner advice in this thread. Now, if I could just get Ben to look at at from his "electrical creations" perspective....

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
I really appreciate the professional tuner advice in this thread. Now, if I could just get Ben to look at at from his "electrical creations" perspective....

He could make a bluetooth controller :spit:

"Hey Siri, DSP tune number 5 please." :rofl:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
He could make a bluetooth controller :spit:

"Hey Siri, DSP tune number 5 please." :rofl:

Great to hear from you again, Steve. Hope everything is good with you and the family. :)

Just something that could be used in a speed (or time) vs tune application.

But I like Kory and your idea, too. That would be pretty interesting and surely help out a LOT of guys at the track.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
Great to hear from you again, Steve. Hope everything is good with you and the family. :)

Just something that could be used in a speed (or time) vs tune application.

But I like Kory and your idea, too. That would be pretty interesting and surely help out a LOT of guys at the track.

Same to you Tom! :hug:

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
the BD staging limiter would work better wouldn't it? I know all tracks are different and ground temp and track prep are never the same. I would think you would need something adjustable on the fly.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
True... Ross could put a axis scaler in there (if its not already). If not and he didnt have time, I could likely add it in .cax and share it!

Kory he is referring to the fact that the max inj qty vs speed table doesnt even work on LB7/LLY..........it has nothing to do with an axis scaler.

Its either mis-labeled, mis-mapped, or is disabled elsewhere in the OS.

Max injected fuel quantity cold (B0729) doesnt do anything either.

Over the years, Ive found theres about a dozen tables/parameters in LB7/LLY that dont actually do anything.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
If someone is really interested in a throttle % based DSP switch, let me know.

I purposely left a couple general purpose I/O's available on the DSP-5 switch's CPU just for this reason, if someone wanted future expandability or capabilities. :)

There will be a little up-charge though because Ill have to write some extra custom code to add the accelerator pedal monitoring tick.

I could make it so you normally only have DSP-1 through DSP-4 available, but then you could tap up one more time and put it in "auto" mode, in which it would then monitor throttle % and whenever TPS goes over 95%, it instantly switches to DSP-5.....?

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
If someone is really interested in a throttle % based DSP switch, let me know.

I purposely left a couple general purpose I/O's available on the DSP-5 switch's CPU just for this reason, if someone wanted future expandability or capabilities. :)

There will be a little up-charge though because Ill have to write some extra custom code to add the accelerator pedal monitoring tick.

I could make it so you normally only have DSP-1 through DSP-4 available, but then you could tap up one more time and put it in "auto" mode, in which it would then monitor throttle % and whenever TPS goes over 95%, it instantly switches to DSP-5.....?

Im not quite sure thats what Im asking, Ben...since the goal Im trying to get to is switching the tune down the track automatically. If you set it using throttle %, the tune would switch right when the green goes, which is what Im trying to avoid. Is there any way to program it to use speed (from speedo or output speed sensor?) or time (like 6-7 sec after WOT)?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The problem with using speed is if you do get wheel spin, it will automatically go full fuel ,big tune and really keep them spinning.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Good point Josh, but if you are using a smaller tune at the start, wouldnt wheel spin be minimal (if at all)....esp if using slicks?