97 crew cab 6.5 to LBZ swap

nitrohogg

97-07 lbz Frankenstein...
Nov 5, 2012
windy city
this is what I want to do! I have a complete donor 2500 4WD, my 97 is a turbo 6.5 4L80E 4WD crew cab, donor is an 07 classic LBZ, Allison crew cab, truck was a light roll over and still runs and drives with 70,000 miles, I've worked on just about everything that has wheels and I am confident I can do this without much difficulties. it will be my first duramax swap. I am concerned about the radiator and inter-cooler swap and wiring I need to do, I have been looking around here quite a bit and you guys seem like ya been there and done that kinda bunch, so basically I'm looking for some input and wondering where to start....swap the dash? (same color as mine)....core support mods? fuel tank? I got it all, not worried about up grades, wont be a race truck or anything, if I get bored after its done maybe a little something, its got a tune in it and a cold air kit and aftermarket exhaust....so what are your thoughts???? I will not discount anything suggested!!

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I would get in contact with "Thefermanator" on here. He swapped out his 6.5 in his 1995 Suburban for a duramax a couple years ago.

He will probably be the best source of knowledge as far as swapping a duramax into a GMT-400 truck/SUV. His swap came out really nicely!

Keep us updated on the project

Ben

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
This will get you started. http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?10142-95-SUBURBAN-to-a-01-DURAMAX-ALLISON The LBZ will be quite a bit more work to fit as it is a inch or 2 taller than my LB7, and the LB7 DOES rub the hood in a few spots. Also getting things like teh tapshift to work will be alot more wiring than mine was if you want the factory cluster for the gear display. The LB7 radiator and intercooler can be made to fit into the stock radiator support, but I believe the LBZ radiator is a bit taller than the LB7 which would probably put it into the hood. In all honesty you would be money AND timne ahead to fix the donor truck than to swap it into the 97. It's nice to have the extra power, but if you aren't careful with your tuning you WILL tweak the frame as it just isn't designed to handle this kind of power. Also your truck will most likely have 4.10 gears which will be a bit low for the DURAMAX unless you want to go to about a 34" tall tire.

nitrohogg

Nov 5, 2012
windy city
I'm sure my 3500 frame can handle the stock 300hp with ease, I got a friend who has a 600hp big block with fat tires instead of the duallies in his and it has handled it well!....mine does have 4:10's in it. I'm not sure how bad the donor truck is, I'll be delivered here sunday. I'm definitly gonna do the swap, I love my 97, it fits me like a glove, it's mint and I'm a pretty good fabricator, as far as hood clearance i could go with a cowl hood. I'm thinking I could combined the two core supports to make the rad/IC work...I'm not scared to cut sheet up! as far as the trans, I really want to stay with the allison....one whole package, slip it in and go....well sort of right! can I use the column and dash cluster and retain the tapshift? I'm thinking the only thing I'm gonna use for wiring in the 97 is head/tail harnesses and the interior stuff, windows, radio, heater, does the abs stand alone? or does it tie into the duramax on the 07? can I keep mine in the 97?

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
For 1 and lbz are 360hp and 660ftlbs of tq very different then a 600 hp gasser. Tq on a gasser wont even be close to a duramax. So there will be more stress, but with that said, a 1ton frame will be just fine at the stock hp setting. I would still look in efi live for tuning, some pretty nice stuff for pulling. Just because u wont race doesnt mean a small tune wouldnt be nice for better mileage.

nitrohogg

Nov 5, 2012
windy city
your right..my bad 360hp.....how much torque you think my frame can handle? my 6.5 pulled my 28 foot 45000lb trailer pretty good till ya got on a kentucky hill!! now I sold my drag bike and don't do much pulling anymore except my single car hauler so even if I do get into a situation where I gotta pull a house down I really wouldn't need much more than stock torque....

nitrohogg

Nov 5, 2012
windy city
I got a lift and plan on taking the body and bed off for the swap so maybe box some of the frame??? just in case I wanna go balls out???

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The 3500 dually frame isn't much beefier than my 2500 BURB frame, and I tweaked mine running a 20/20 tow tune when I did my burnout. I'm currently running quite a bit more power, but I've been rather conservative on bringing it on to protect my frame from any furthur damage. Boxing it would be an EXCELLENT idea if you have the time and space to do it. And a 600HP big block probably can't come close to the torque of what a stock LBZ can do with a MILD tune in it. As for stand alone, that gets tricky if you don't like warning lights coming on in the cluster. That was one of the HUGE reasons I went with an 01-02 LB7 for my swap was the wiring color codes were VERY simliar as well as the wiring layout. If you want it to work like factory with an LBZ, you will be into the swap for ALOT of wiring as everything right down to the tailights will have to be modified. I HIGHLY suggest you either get a full set of service manuals or at least an ALLDATA subscription and sit down and start going over wiring diagrams before you delve into the swap and decide which direction you want to go with it. Head over to thedieselpage and look through some of the swaps over there as well. I have the conversion book here at the house, but it didn't do me much good except for motor mount templates as I went stand-alone with my swap and he integrated into the BCM.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I got a lift and plan on taking the body and bed off for the swap so maybe box some of the frame??? just in case I wanna go balls out???

IF you think about going all out... forget the 4l85 put the allison in.

boxing, better crossmember wouldnt hurt.. i know i can flex frame(pull ds corner up .5"-1" and mine is 5/16" C with a 1/4" double channel) on mine from a stand still if theres enough weight on the GN.. that with just 250hp 6.5 couldnt even touch it..... biggest thing is this only happens when i have 5-6,000lb of pin weight (GRAW of 7500-8500lb), empty the tires just spin...

the biggest thing i screwed up putting a LBZ in is a forgot/misplaced the following and are all stand alone for the dash.
low coolant connector
o/p switch... can be installed in a main galley plug
ECT sensor (in cylinder head) i T'd mine into the heater core supply line
tach is ran off the alternator. needs a 4 pin connecter.. got the AZ part numebr at home..

since i didnt use the BCM on mine i ccan use the T/H for the 4l85 and its controler T42 used the data bus..

CC is not ran off the data bus on the LBZ i havent checked/varified yet that i can hard wired them to ground.

john o

Feb 3, 2011
SUMMERFIELD, FL
Reading Ferms threads and askin questions helped me out alot but I'm not as electrically talented as him so I found the easiest route for me was to swap complete wiring harnesses,cluster,and steering column. Only thing I had to do was figure out the window and lock wiring. Either way you got a good bit of work ahead of ya

nitrohogg

Nov 5, 2012
windy city
I have Mitchell's on demand, got every wiring diagram I need. I just sat here and when through your whole swap process ferm....it was a huge undertaking, and without a lift!! I can't do that layin on your back crap much anymore!! I have my own shop behind my house with a lift and heated floors...it's a little small but I can get a semi in the one side, little tight to work on it but I did an in frame on a dt466 without much trouble....had to lay on my back a few times but the money was worth it...I'm gonna go over the donor truck with a fine tooth comb sunday afternoon and decide how I'm gonna approach it...now I'm thinking of gutting my 97 and using everything from the 07......I saw somewhere that the dash will swap out with some work so it might be an idea.

nitrohogg

Nov 5, 2012
windy city
thats what I'm thinking...quite a bit of work, yes....but when you want something bad enough it'a all good! :thumb:

Reading Ferms threads and askin questions helped me out alot but I'm not as electrically talented as him so I found the easiest route for me was to swap complete wiring harnesses,cluster,and steering column. Only thing I had to do was figure out the window and lock wiring. Either way you got a good bit of work ahead of ya

JoeyD

WTF
Apr 21, 2008
The 3500 dually frame isn't much beefier than my 2500 BURB frame, and I tweaked mine running a 20/20 tow tune when I did my burnout. I'm currently running quite a bit more power, but I've been rather conservative on bringing it on to protect my frame from any furthur damage. Boxing it would be an EXCELLENT idea if you have the time and space to do it. And a 600HP big block probably can't come close to the torque of what a stock LBZ can do with a MILD tune in it. As for stand alone, that gets tricky if you don't like warning lights coming on in the cluster. That was one of the HUGE reasons I went with an 01-02 LB7 for my swap was the wiring color codes were VERY simliar as well as the wiring layout. If you want it to work like factory with an LBZ, you will be into the swap for ALOT of wiring as everything right down to the tailights will have to be modified. I HIGHLY suggest you either get a full set of service manuals or at least an ALLDATA subscription and sit down and start going over wiring diagrams before you delve into the swap and decide which direction you want to go with it. Head over to thedieselpage and look through some of the swaps over there as well. I have the conversion book here at the house, but it didn't do me much good except for motor mount templates as I went stand-alone with my swap and he integrated into the BCM.
I have seen it I think but post the pic of your frame where it's damaged.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I have seen it I think but post the pic of your frame where it's damaged.

It's rippled right in front of where the front leaf spring brackets atatch to the frame. It doesn't show up well in pics, but when you lay a straight edge against it and look at it it looks bad.