9.25 Axle Stub Shaft Retaining Clips

GMC 08

Aug 2, 2010
St. Charles, MN
Having trouble getting the Drivers side shaft out. I had an eight pound slide hammer on it and gave it a few good hits and it did not release. Does the driver’s side stub shaft have a compression ring or a retaining ring? A compression ring should compress when pressing out the stub shaft. The retaining ring will need a retaining ring pliers in order to be removed. I am pretty sure these axles have a compression ring. Can someone confirm??

The differential is out and I used the slide hammer while it was on the bench (diff was horizontal). I’ve read you need to keep constant pressure on the stub shaft as you use the slide hammer and I’ve also read you need to have the axle vertical so the clip sits correctly in the groove. if someone can confirm the retaining ring is a compression ring I think I will try it again with the diff vertical and have a buddy put pressure on the shaft as I use the slide hammer.

Installing a lift and was going to through some 4.10s in while I had everything apart.

Thanks!

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
the clip is for sure a compression ring. the problem is, some are a royal bitch to get out. you may wind up breaking the ring trying to get it out which isnt uncommon.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Don't put it back in on reinstall, if you ever want to take it apart again. They aren't needed, that thing isn't gonna fall out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I can't remember but I think that's how I've got one out before. And another was broke the flange and I cut the axle off and pushed it through the inside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk