40A IGN A Fuse keeps blowing!

WanaDmaxsub

Junior Member W/gray hair
Feb 17, 2007
Turn the key to start the motor and nothing happens...check the fuse and it's blown:mad:. I even tried a 50A...same result. Starter is only about 2 years old so I don't think that is it.
Anyone else had similar issue?

I hate tracing electrical!!!

f1100turbo

Sep 8, 2014
Unhook the positive lead at the starter and see if it still blows.

TURBS

How can I annoy OC today?

WanaDmaxsub

Feb 17, 2007
Or I could unhook the pos lead and do a continuity check to ground...correct? I already wasted 3 fuses (test other ideas) in the parking lot waiting for the tow truck...

WanaDmaxsub

Feb 17, 2007
Starter is getting 12.Xv Key off
Disconnected the batteries and pulled the pos lead off the starter
pos starter terminal to ground is open (starter case and truck frame)
Starter lead(wire) to ground is also open

Now what..relay?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Put an amp gauge on the bat cable going to the starter while you crank it. I don't think it should show more than 200 amps while cranking. I've seen bad starters pull 600 amps while cranking.

WanaDmaxsub

Feb 17, 2007
Found the problem...Solenoid lead rests on the power steering line.:screwy: Took it almost 200k to rub through the loom and insulation.

Thanks for the help!!!:D

WanaDmaxsub

Feb 17, 2007
Yes my '04 in the sig.

BONUS!!!
For a loooooooooooong time I have had what I thought was driveline slop and ABS issues with this truck. Lots of rear-end movement and the ABS (randomly) kicking in on down shifts under braking. Well the wire (next to solenoid wire) in the loom had also rubbed through the insulation and was grounded. That wire is part of the ABS circuit. Now that it isn't grounded anymore all the above issues have gone away...truck feels like it did when it was new... :D:D:D

turbo_bu

Mar 27, 2007
Central IL
Could you post a picture of which wiring loom is the one that is rubbing? As a fellow 2004 owner, I'm more than kinda interested in seeing where to check.

WanaDmaxsub

Feb 17, 2007
Currently don't have a "working" camera...:eek:
At the base of the power steering pump where the fluid lines are connected is where you should check. I have 2 heavy battery cables the are routed past the fluid lines and the smaller loom that runs between the lines. The smaller one between the lines is the one that rubbed through.

turbo_bu

Mar 27, 2007
Central IL
Gotcha .... so the smaller line in my truck goes up toward the drivers side cylinder head and is covered in the black plastic wiring loom. Your wiring loom got rubbed through, and then the wires themselves got rubbed through too?