2017 Duramax

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah I know, the '15's just came out but eh the frames and drivetrain are a carryover. I'm interested to find out if anyone here has any inside info about the '17 Silverado HD? Specifically the Duramax. I heard that GM will be making some big changes. What have you guys heard?

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Bringing this back up from the dead.

Anyone know anything? Think GM will come out swinging with a surprise like they did when the Dmax was first introduced in '01?

What I find interesting is that even with a lower HP/TQ number, they still beat the Cummins and Powerstroke in most tests. I think the Dmax is underrated;)

Nick

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Bringing this back up from the dead.

Anyone know anything? Think GM will come out swinging with a surprise like they did when the Dmax was first introduced in '01?

What I find interesting is that even with a lower HP/TQ number, they still beat the Cummins and Powerstroke in most tests. I think the Dmax is underrated;)

Nick

The Duramax puts more power to the ground. The transmission is more intelligent, and knows what gear and TCC strategy to use for most effeicent operation. Duramax is still ahead of the curve imo. Hopefully you're right and they will release some pretty wicked stuff. But the DMAX is already King of the hill so:D

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I can't confirm but I heard a no name shop building turbos out of his garage say that the 2017 was ditching Garrett and switching to a new BorgWarner turbo.

hntngkd

Jun 24, 2013
Attica, Mi
Personally i would wait, I like the look and they make good power and have quite a bit of potential. But as far as aftermarket things go i dont know it will definitley be a while before anything is available because there are a lot of changes coming with it.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
From what I understand, GM is moving away from Bosch on all engine controllers, both gas and diesel.

So we could see the 2017 Duramax return to using a Delphi controller, which would be nice for EFILive because thats what Ross knows best (Delphi architecture).

Then again, it could also be Continental, Siemens, etc.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I'd highly doubt the look will change but usually at the 3 year mark GM "updates" the exterior...

I heard the 6.6 stays in place and gets a power bump to 450hp 1000 tq...

1000 ft lbs!? No way in hell.

And as for your first comment, mid-cycle enhancement isnt "every 3 years". Its whenever they want/need it/bean counters allow it. GMT-900 didnt even get an MCE.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Who cares what the torque output is!!!!! A stock LB7 makes enough power and torque to pull wayyyyyy more than the truck can handle. It's time for some damn fuel economy.