2012 Cummins w/467.5 FMW

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
My floorhand has a 2012 cummins, hardway tuned, 100% injectors, Ppe dual fuelers and cac piping, banks cooler, and a 68re suncoast stage 5 (5th one) from sun coast.

Truck dynoed 840 on a Dyno, don't know what one. So let's say it has 740 at the ass worse case senerio.

Truck has broke two sprags in first gear 10-12 psi launches. He refuses to launch now.

And the last 3 has chewed up the 6th gear clutch pack. He was told he had to be doing 60 mph burnouts and he's not brace enough for that. Just curious if you guys could shed some light on why he keeps eating trans doing 50-110 mph pulls? Suncoast has taken good care of him but he'd like to run the truck for what it was built for and not have to worry and I'm clueless so school me.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
No one can fix the 68RFE. It uses the same design clutch drum as the '89 Dodge Caravan V6 transmission ( 604 ).

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
LOL, I told him there was something about that 68 but I wasn't sure. Trucks stout and really nice and he's been wanting to race it but he gets on it a handful of times and it's getting towed.

I don't figure I'd make it across town before I had parts scattered. Gonna find out tomorrow.

Mike, what options does he have as far as swapping to a different trans, he's got 10 grand in this one so far and is about over the truck all together. If he sells it I may buy it and slap a 6 speed in it. Only has 60k on it.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Get that 68 out, or send it to Randy's transmission in Utah.

I'd say 48 swap it.

Not even Randy can save it from being hammered on.

48 swap is his only choice but he will loose some functionality unless they got the new electronic converter deal worked out so every thing does work right.

10k is about what it cost to swap it not including the new electronics

D1rty-max

Spare some change?
Jul 16, 2015
Longview, TX
I had a buddy sell his truck after going through 6 of them his truck lived at hardway they were constantly having suncoast warranty the trans it sure does suck they seem to be 'unfixable'.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
I had a buddy sell his truck after going through 6 of them his truck lived at hardway they were constantly having suncoast warranty the trans it sure does suck they seem to be 'unfixable'.

Yeah he's pretty well over it as bad as he hates to be, I told him I'd see if there was any options but he said he's not dropping another 10+ in it, he said he'd sell it or put a smaller turbo and sticks in it. It really is a nice truck.

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
My trans builder swapped an allison into an 09 cummins. Kid went thru 4 built 68s, the allison is doing well so far