2009 LMM Lift Pump Install

jsborn

Dec 2, 2010
Southeast Georgia
I have a 2009 LMM in a 2500HD after dealing with loss of primp for several months I had a Air Dog DF-100-4G Lift pump system installed. My question is should I bypass the stock filter and water separator or just leave it in line.
If I bypass it what should be done with wiring for water separator sensor? and other wiring to stock fuel head. If I leave the stock system in place how often should the filter be changed to keep it from blocking fuel flow?

Any input would be appreciated.

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
Any codes? P0087 p1093? Is so check the fuel quick connect driver side see if the small woven piece is collapsed is so that's a restriction point. Have you measured vacuum/psi at fuel pressure test port when priming with hand primer on stock filter housing? Was a pick put in the tank when airdog installed? The more info the better could have a draw straw issue is stock pick up is restricted or blocked by trash debris in tank? Filter head leak around primer or heater on filter head?

jsborn

Dec 2, 2010
Southeast Georgia
I have a 2009 LMM in a 2500HD after dealing with loss of primp for several months I had a Air Dog DF-100-4G Lift pump system installed. My question is should I bypass the stock filter and water separator or just leave it in line.
If I bypass it what should be done with wiring for water separator sensor? and other wiring to stock fuel head. If I leave the stock system in place how often should the filter be changed to keep it from blocking fuel flow?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you all for your input but the problem with loss of prime was solved with the installation of the lift pump.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I deleted my stock fuel filter. As for the water in fuel sensor on the bottom of the filter just unplug it and tie it up out of the way. No problems with mine and alot easier the change filterd on the lift pump

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
Possibly the best thing for a diesel engine is plenty of CLEAN diesel fuel. I would never bypass the stock filter, now that you have a lift pump. If you don't like dealing with the WIF sensor, just unplug it at the electrical connection but leave it attached to the filter. I have never had a problem with my WIF sensor at all

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
WIF sensors are prone to cracking and leaking.

I'd rebuild your filter head and install an adapter to use either the cat or Donaldson filter.

I change airdog filters every oil change and my top Donaldson every other oil change.

Bulldogr6

Feb 18, 2012
Wester Mass
No way I would bypass the oem filter head. More filters = more better.

Rebuild the head and put an adapter with a good filter on it.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

jsborn

Dec 2, 2010
Southeast Georgia
No way I would bypass the oem filter head. More filters = more better.

Rebuild the head and put an adapter with a good filter on it.

define Adapter and Good Filter Please

I would like to bypass the OEM filter so as not to have to mess with replacing it. GM Engineers really put a high maintenance item in a bad place for old men.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
WIF sensors are prone to cracking and leaking.

I'd rebuild your filter head and install an adapter to use either the cat or Donaldson filter.

I change airdog filters every oil change and my top Donaldson every other oil change.

You know the oem recommendation is like 40 000 miles for a fuel filter right? Your way over changing it especially with an air dog. Unless you’re getting filters for free or take a lot of shitty fuel out of rusty drums there is no need. Your just risking adding more contamination every time you open the system.

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
I'm curious as to where the recommended spec of 40,000 miles comes from the new l5ps don't even make it to 20,000 before the change fuel filter minder displays on the dic. I change mine every 10,000 I understand that all sorts of algortihims take place like ect, tps, and others. I take piece of mind knowing I'm getting clean filtered fuel versus possible contnamated fuel did you know that the fuel everyone gets at any filling station is average 29 days old? Fwiw jmho

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I'm curious as to where the recommended spec of 40,000 miles comes from the new l5ps don't even make it to 20,000 before the change fuel filter minder displays on the dic. I change mine every 10,000 I understand that all sorts of algortihims take place like ect, tps, and others. I take piece of mind knowing I'm getting clean filtered fuel versus possible contnamated fuel did you know that the fuel everyone gets at any filling station is average 29 days old? Fwiw jmho

Sorry. I meant 40 000km. At least that’s about when my DIC in my 16 says to change it. So about 25 000 miles. I know my work truck which was a 12 lml was about every 30 000km but it had way more hours in that time than my personal truck does. In my lml manual it just says every 2 years or when the DIC says to change it.

Regardless overchanging isn’t good either due to as I previously mentioned contamination risks. There is absolutely no need to change your factory filter every oil change especially if you run a couple filters off the lift pump. It won’t bypass as it gets dirty so there is no need to be paranoid. Especially at the cost of them.

29 days is nothing.
On my LBZ I ran fuel that sat for upwards of 6 months, out of drums of all condition, took lots out of drilling rig tanks, slip tanks, equipment when our shop tanks were full you name it. Winter, arctic and summer blends. My fuel was filtered 4 times between the slip tank in my truck and my cp3. I changed my engine filter once a year. Oil changes almost monthly. Slip tank and lift pump filters 2 or 3 times a year. At the end I put 180 000 miles on that cp3 and it was still good when it came off when I built the engine.

Bulldogr6

Feb 18, 2012
Wester Mass
define Adapter and Good Filter Please

I would like to bypass the OEM filter so as not to have to mess with replacing it. GM Engineers really put a high maintenance item in a bad place for old men.
Nicktane makes a adaptor that screws on the OEM filter head and enables you to have better filter options from Cat, Donaldson ect. Myself and many others run a Donaldson P553203 .

As for accessibility it's pretty easy if you add the filter access door in the inner fender.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I put a UDP adaptor on and a cat 0749, if you ever lose prime doing a repair unless your tanks full the lift pump prolly won’t prime and the filter head will save your ass, no point in doing away with it on a DD.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
You could always just move the stock filter to the frame like I did

Attachments

• 20150707_082822~01.jpg
    20150707_082822~01.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20150706_215207~01.jpg
    20150706_215207~01.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 25

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I put a UDP adaptor on and a cat 0749, if you ever lose prime doing a repair unless your tanks full the lift pump prolly won’t prime and the filter head will save your ass, no point in doing away with it on a DD.

It will. Once I put a lift pump on I never once touched the primer on the stock filter head. Even with my shitty KD single pump. Just opened the bleed screw on top. I do suggest replacing that plastic pos with an aluminum one or billet or whatever they are. You’ll be pissed when it strips lol.

Bulldogr6

Feb 18, 2012
Wester Mass
It will. Once I put a lift pump on I never once touched the primer on the stock filter head. Even with my shitty KD single pump. Just opened the bleed screw on top. I do suggest replacing that plastic pos with an aluminum one or billet or whatever they are. You’ll be pissed when it strips lol.
I've never heard anybody refer to the Kennedy lift pump as shitty . Did you have problems with it?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I like the idea of more filters but more filters does you no good if the first initial filter has a lower absolute micron rating than the filter on the stock filter head and if you use the same absolute micron filter on the filter head, whats the point?

case in point. if you put a CAT absolute 2 micron filter on the air dog instead of the normal air dog filters you get, you completely do away with the need for the factory 2 micron filter (which i believe is nominal at 90% or 50%, cant remember but its on here somewhere, OG filters from 01-04 were actually 10 micron as well). the 2 micron air dog filter that comes on is not that great and is 2 micron nominal at 50%. if you want to continue to run the stock AD filter, i would for sure run a CAT filter and adapter on the stock filter housing BUT then why spend the extra expense on the adapter and 2 filters when you can just run the CAT 1R0751 on the air dog with a little mod to two tabs. Running the stock AD filters and stock GM filters is throwing money away when a single CAT on the lift pump will catch more

My point is, those that say ditching the stock filter head is a dumb idea carry a little truth but only if you stick with stock filters. change the lift pump filter to the cat part number listed above and you have way better filteration than you had with the two stockers combined. Adding the adapter to a stock filter head after you already have the AD lift pump is wasting money as well. if you already had it, might as well keep the stock AD filters and run the CAT filter at the filter head or sell the adapter and make some money back.

Coker did a nice write up on installation and about the micron differences as well.
http://duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32869