2008 Duramax fuel problem code p0087

tony1224

Jun 28, 2018
Hello everybody.I'm new here and I really need help don't know what to do anymore.I have the 2008 Duramax with about 120 something miles on.the other day I had the code p0087. I did change the fuel filter and didn't get better.I did change the fuel rail plug,the truck running a little better to about 55 mile and hour as soon you try to do 60 the quit and I have to get off and pry fuel filter 'once it gets pressure runs again for a wile and them quit and on and so on all over again .Can some help please.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Could be either you are drawing air into the fuel system from somewhere causing you to lose prime or your cp3 pump is getting weak. Also it’s not uncommon for the rubber fuel lines to start deteriorating over time or for the fuel filter head to start causing grief requiring a rebuild.

Do a search here for P0087. Lots of reading to be done which might give you some ideas on what to check and how.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
P0087 is the hardest code on a duramax to diagnose. Lately for us it has been injectors almost every time. First step is checking vacuum at test port.

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
My 2008 LMM would act weird and throw that code on a hill when it was sucking air by the fuel filter 0-ring. It would not leak to make a puddle or smell but at high draw it would suck air at that 0-ring. Make sure you dont have a small nick in the o-ring and the sensor on the bottom is sealed as well, another o-ring.