08 LMM Battery replacement frequency

Lt. DMAX

Nov 4, 2016
Southern Tier of NY
08 Sierra with LMM. Every two years when it gets cold I experience hard starts followed quickly by no starts, unless I change both batts. I have been using Duracell AGMs from Sams.

Is a 2 year replacement frequency the norm?
If not, thoughts on causes?
Thoughts on Duracell AGM vs. Optima?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Optimas are junk anymore.. Not sure on the Duracells.... I run interstate pretty much exclusively and I have great luck.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I think I have Autozone gold tops in my daily driver. Deka will be going in when they go out. That's all we use at work they are good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Went through a ton of Optimas when I first got the truck. Got tired of swapping them under warranty, and figured if I was going to have junk batteries, I'd buy junk batteries. Bought the cheapest batteries AutoZone had.

After 6 years, they're done. I'll be putting a new set of the cheapest batteries I can find in shortly. Best value for the dollar I've ever had. Never had a name brand last 6 years.

Sent from my FlashScan V2

Hoffie

Mar 10, 2015
Far East LA - aka Phoenix
Optimas sold their name to a lesser quality company and they are not as good as they used to be. Batteries Plus has some good ones that are not too expensive. Did your batteries start smelling like rotten eggs before they died? How often do you drive the truck - less often the battery dies sooner, more often it gets worked harder and seems to work longer. Just my opinion..

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
We use Dekas here on the ranch. They have been treating us very well so far. I use one 850 CCA on my LLY and it starts in 30* weather with no glow plugs. I'm impressed coming from interstates and continentals in the past.

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
Yes, Optimas are junk. Went through several of them and I'm done with them. I buy Interstate or from a local discount store called Bi Mart, they have an absolute no quibble return although I've never had to return one to them. Couple of things, you could have a parasitic battery drain that partially discharges batts when parked for periods of time. When it gets started after sitting, the batteries get stressed from the high recharging current. Or your alternator may not be putting out enough to fully recharge your batteries. When I park my truck for long periods I put a Battery Minder (not Battery Tender) on it, the Battery Minder has a circuit that pulses and helps reduce sulfate buildup on the battery plates.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Original GM batteries went 10+ years in the harshest environment you could ask for... Well, one died under warranty and they both sh*t out 2 winters ago. I have Cat batteries in my TBSS and the D-max now. 4-5 years in the TBSS with no issues yet.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I had a set of the original optimas (the good ones) go 12 years. Using a set of acdelco batteries now with a 3 year warranty. We'll see how long they last in this heat.

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Between 4 trucks, I've shit out 18 batteries....all started with OE, replaced with Optima, those shit the bed within a year. Running interstates now and those have treated me well. 2 yrs is BS, a decent battery in Vegas will do 4-5 yrs, even with our 110+ summers and 30* winters

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
My LMM came with Interstates when she was born or the first owner put them on there with the 08' stamp on them and I ran them til last winter and finally they fell on their face after 2 years of North Dakota's winter temps. Soooo I swapped them in for the same set just new. Figured 08' to 15' was a good run
Paid $275 after cores
Edited for pricing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elliottw

Jan 23, 2013
ND
My 07 is still plugging away on the original batteries, can't imagine theyll live for to much longer.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
My LMM went thru a set every 2 years no matter what brand I used. I drove it everyday usually about 100 miles a day. The LMM just seems to eat batteries...