05 LLY communication issues

rcashman

Jun 7, 2023
Idaho
05 lly 235K miles, all stock.
Started with leaking trans selector seal. Removed NSBU switch replaced seal. 1-2 weekly later started getting selector inhibitor messages on the dash with no gear selection indicator on dash. If you turned it off and started back up it would go away and go into gear.
thinking the old NSBU switch was bad and oil soaked I replaced it (nsbu is single plug). Issues continued over the coarse of 12 months and started coming more frequent. Then back in Oct it would take multiple key cycles for it to work again. Check plug and nsbu switch for connection. Visually things looked fine. Then it progressed to check engine light.
Codes P0700, P0872, P842...Cheap code scanner would clear codes, then it would go into gear and work fine. As time went on it took longer to clear code so it could be driven. It was also intermittent. You may or may not need to clear codes at each restart when making multiple short trips. BTW once the codes had been rest you could hear and sometimes feel a shift valve reset.
If I disconnected the batteries and reconnect there were no issues for multiple start ups.
Issue continued to progress and frustrating so I dug into the valve body and put all new shift valves in (valves slide in and out smoothly). Tested all shift solenoids. Replaced pressure switch and internal wiring harness. Found not debris in pan that appeared to be from a mechanical issue.
Did driven relearn for trans. Issue still returned.
Went thru TCM connectors and none appeared to have issues.
Put two new batteries after getting low voltage code and batteries being 10 yrs old.
Gave truck to a GM tech to re-flash TCM. He could not communicate with it. Got reman TCM and he still could not communicate with it.
At this point he still could read DTC's. Once the second TCM did not have communication he checked ECM wiring. I'm told it all checked out including under the fuse box under the hood. He say he did a hard ECM reset also (not sure what that is).
After all that there is zero communication to ECM, TCM, BCM.....DLC has power and ground. I was also told he checked the com wires as well.
Now the truck is stuck in second gear, check engine light on, abs & brake lights are on, service brake system flashes, no gear indicator and no working speedo.
Once I got it home I looked at fuses and found ECM2 blown. Replaced it and nothing changed. Unhooked the batteries, waited, reconnected. Same dash issues, scanner continually trying to read.
I have a copy of the TCM pin out info for testing wires but cannot find the ECM.
Can't afford to send it to a $200 per hour dealership to check harnesses. I'm not a good diag guy but can take solid direction and guidance well. Some lingo and acronyms I'm familiar with but would need it dumbed down intentionally.
I would really appreciate the help.

rcashman

Jun 7, 2023
Idaho
So here is my update. BTW I really appreciate all the help finding info.

Pulled ECM and TCM. Inspected all pins (female and male sides), check all circuit grounds, powers and data wire from DLC to ECM.
The only thing I found was in connector C1 (blue) for the ECM. Pin 50 that goes to cam sensor. Pinout says 12 volt reference red wire. With Koeo the red wire has 5v. Unplugged cam shaft sensor and tested at plug. Red wire still has only 5v. I also checked the other two wires in that plug. The pink/blk has zero volts (which I guess make sense if it's not running) and the, what looks like brn/wht has 3v. This wire I believe goes to ECM Connector 3, position 51. It says CMP Sensor signal. Should there be 3v at the cam shaft sensor plug brn/wht wire?
At this point I'm still leaning towards the ECM. I truly can not find anything else.
My symptoms are all the same. The #30 fuse has not blown again (havent tried starting either). Went thru both fuse boxes after finding and testing cam shaft sensor wires. All good.
One other change I forgot to past on. When I picked it up (late afternoon, 90 deg and after the guy moved it) it took forever for the glow plug light to go off. Then the same thing today. 80 deg out, glow plug light was very slow compared to normal. I just turned the key into run for testing. did not try to start.
BTW I also pulled up the under hood fuse box. Tip top shape.

Am I head down the correct ECM rabbit hole?

Last edited:

rcashman

Jun 7, 2023
Idaho
I dont have the equipment for that. I did check continuity from the dlc to pin side of the plug, which was fine. Not sure if that's the proper way or not. Only thing i could think of.

rcashman

Jun 7, 2023
Idaho
1689040380873.png
Hoping for some constructive feedback.
Here is were I'm at so far with this huge pain in the but.
In the fuse panel on the left of the dash. With Fuse IGN 0 in there is zero communication. This fuse is one of many supplying power to the ECM and TCM. If I remove it or unplug the TCM connector with this wire I can talk with the other modules.
With the fuse removed I get 12v on the hot side and 1.3v on the wire supplying to each module. I've tested the wires coming out of the dash fuse box, in to the under hood fuse box. Back probed C1-E11&F12 as well as back probed into the ECM #4 wire 1020, down to the TCM plug. All have the same 1.3V.
I've checked/cleaned down to fresh metal all the engine grounds and chassis to body grounds. I've unplugged the harness on the back of the trains with the same result. I unplugged the NSBU switch and got 1.3v on every pin except for the 12v from the ECM.
I've tested the Mil feed at the tcm and got 12 volts (unplugged).
Here is the kicker. Ive done all of this with a new TCM as well and got the same result.

I'm figuring it's a power to ground some place but am struggling to locate.
Every module in the cab is unplugged. I've separated the wiring harness from the under hood fuse box to each module plug and cannot see anything obvious. BTW the J1939 is 60ohms.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I'm not sure I follow. What wire/pin are you not expecting the 1.3 volts and are getting it. What voltage are you expecting you should have?

Screenshot_20230710-203356~01.jpg
Screenshot_20230710-203418~01.jpg
Screenshot_20230710-203720~01.jpg

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Did you separate the circuit to see which wire is supplying this 1.3 volts? Have you pulled the connector block from the underside of the fuse panel and tested there?

rcashman

Jun 7, 2023
Idaho
Did you separate the circuit to see which wire is supplying this 1.3 volts? Have you pulled the connector block from the underside of the fuse panel and tested there?
So i have not pulled either of the fuse boxes apart yet. The 1020 wire comes out of the underhood box at C2-f11 I believe then is factory spliced in the harness to the ecm and tcm.
I'm puzzled as to where the 1.3v is coming from and why it's affecting the class 2 communication.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
1020 is a circuit and not just one wire. I'd pull the block connector off the fuse box and probe that to see if you still have 1.3 volts. Also, how do you know the 1.3 volts on the ignition circuit is affecting the class 2 comms? How do you know they are related?

rcashman

Jun 7, 2023
Idaho
1020 is a circuit and not just one wire. I'd pull the block connector off the fuse box and probe that to see if you still have 1.3 volts. Also, how do you know the 1.3 volts on the ignition circuit is affecting the class 2 comms? How do you know they are related?
When i pull the ign0 fuse from the left side dash fuse box and use my power prob the ign side going to the fuse has 12v, the other side going to the under hood fuse box has the 1.3v. This is with key on engine off. With the fuse in i have no communication to anything. With it out i have communication to everything but the tcm. The ecm shows a p0700 and loss of communication to the tcm.