03 LB7 Limp mode issues

Lyysergic

May 10, 2016
Hey everyone i'm a new Duramax owner, and have owned my 03 with 177k on it for about 4 months now. Since I bought it, it has gone limp probably 5 or 6 times. I drive it pretty smoothly and don't romp on the peddle and it loses power shifting into 4th and 5th gears occasionally and that's when i'll start to feel the chance for limp. I got the codes checked and it gave me: P0089 FPR.

Any help would be appreciated and im stationed on a base here in great lakes, IL without a shop to work on my rig in so any advice would be greatly appreciated so i don't have to bring it in to a shop.

Side note: New oil change/filter and Air dog fuel filter only has 3k on it.

Thanks in advance!

Lyysergic

May 10, 2016
Apparently it hardly ever pulled, however it is tuned with a dps5 switch at the local diesel shop Ryan's Diesel in Wisconsin. It has an aftermarket 5" exhaust and Cold air intake, transfer case was replaced like 20k ago and injectors also were around the same time.

Besides that its had 3 owners total including me, and the guy before me was a diesel mechanic, so its been pretty decently maintained I spose.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
So no built trans? What tune do you usually run around on?
More than likely one of the previous owners romped on it too much and hurt the trans. Slipping/limping on 4-5 upshift is usually the first symptom, and if its doing it on a relatively stock tune, well......

Might be a good idea to talk to Ryan's Diesel about what tunes are in it, too.

Lyysergic

May 10, 2016
No the trans is stock :\. If it's limping does that mean its shot? How much money am I looking at to rebuild the trans do you think:confused:

Thanks for the quick responses

Lyysergic

May 10, 2016
So there's no chance it could be anything like a shift solenoid or a sensor, or even the FPR? All other gears have great power and smooth shifting, and it doesn't always happen either. I know its probably the issue but it would be nice to not have to drop 5k on a built trans this early in owning the truck.

Also I don't even run the tuner at all. I just leave it stock, and I had a dealer check it out and he said something about my injectors putting out a really high amount of fuel(I'm not sure if thats from the tune, or if it's even a bad thing)

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
What are you scanning with?

What happened after you limped

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Lyysergic

May 10, 2016
I'm not sure what code checker was used but I had an oreillys check it for me so.. I know it wasn't like a snap-on one or anything like that. Also idk if i should mention but my Fuel Pressure fluctuates between 3k-8k, and i seem to have a loss of power when i'm in the lower range.