01 crewcab 6.6 turbo 127k miles

Mar 20, 2016
good morning and i've done a search and don't see any thread/s? Hope not to be a repeat but anyway, when my truck is facing up hill, it starts for about 5 secs, then dies. I have to get out, open hood, and pump the top of fuel filter about 20 or 25 times until pressure is built up. Facing down hill, hardly have to do this process but every now and then. I've had a lot of work done even changing out fuel/brake lines recently, not to include injectors and fuel regulator (ouch). Back, about 2 yrs ago, i put in some kind of kit dealing with this but can't remember where i got info? It was a suggestion and seemed to work up till just recently. Suggestions and thank you

TexasRedNeck

Diesel Newbie
Nov 25, 2012
Houston, Texas
You’re losing prime for some reason and the most obvious is the filter head itself. There are kits to rebuild them but I’ve heard at some point the kits won’t solve the problem.

I had to replace the housing on my LB7 and the replacements for those were stupid expensive so I used an LLY housing which was much more reasonable and rerouted the fuel lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 20, 2016
You’re losing prime for some reason and the most obvious is the filter head itself. There are kits to rebuild them but I’ve heard at some point the kits won’t solve the problem.

I had to replace the housing on my LB7 and the replacements for those were stupid expensive so I used an LLY housing which was much more reasonable and rerouted the fuel lines.

oh shoot, i just had the fuel lines replaced, along with brake lines....the other route would be to replace the filter head? I'm somewhat blown away with only 127k miles all the work needing to be done but still, in the long run, a lot cheaper than buying a newer vehicle...thank you for your time and response

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
oh shoot, i just had the fuel lines replaced, along with brake lines....the other route would be to replace the filter head? I'm somewhat blown away with only 127k miles all the work needing to be done but still, in the long run, a lot cheaper than buying a newer vehicle...thank you for your time and response
The seals in the filter head go bad and will cause the fuel the run back to the tank. You won't see a leak since you don't have a lift pump on the truck. Miles don't necessarily mean anything, the truck is 20 years old things are going to need to be replaced.

Reactions: Pure Diesel

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Rebuild the filter head with a kit from merchant automotive. You’ll be good to go 99% of the time

Mar 20, 2016
The seals in the filter head go bad and will cause the fuel the run back to the tank. You won't see a leak since you don't have a lift pump on the truck. Miles don't necessarily mean anything, the truck is 20 years old things are going to need to be replaced.
lift pump? Is that a plus to have on the truck?

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
went on website, not sure what i am looking for? Seems to have a few options...tks agn for response

A lift pump is always good to have. They are alittle pricey though. A good airdog or fass will run 7-800

Mar 20, 2016

A lift pump is always good to have. They are alittle pricey though. A good airdog or fass will run 7-800
sweet, thank you...i'll have to research the lift pump? No clue as to what it does and if it is advantageous to have one?

TexasRedNeck

Diesel Newbie
Nov 25, 2012
Houston, Texas
With LB7s (all common rail diesels but especially LB7s) good filtration and water separation is really beneficial. Even if you don’t plan to modify or tune the engine.

A good lift pump will give you extra protection for the injectors and CP3

A worth while investment.

Airdog and Fass both make good units. Easy to install for the average DIYer

Mar 20, 2016
With LB7s (all common rail diesels but especially LB7s) good filtration and water separation is really beneficial. Even if you don’t plan to modify or tune the engine.

A good lift pump will give you extra protection for the injectors and CP3

A worth while investment.

Airdog and Fass both make good units. Easy to install for the average DIYer

going with this, would there be any sense in doing the filter head rebuild kit?

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
usually with a lift pump installed the filter head will pour fuel out if it needs to be rebuilt/replaced.
Yep. The stock fuel system run in a vacuum. It will run under pressure with a lift pump. This may not be a popular opinion but I’ve removed the stock filter head from my first 2 trucks. My ‘02 already had it removed. With 2 filters on the lift pump there is plenty of filtering. If you feel you need more get a filter head from NAPA for a screw on filter and add it to the system. This was my setup on the ‘04.

Attachments

• 2B95C0F3-8620-436E-A1F2-F473B1CFA71B.png
    2B95C0F3-8620-436E-A1F2-F473B1CFA71B.png
    452.7 KB · Views: 19
Mar 20, 2016
Yep. The stock fuel system run in a vacuum. It will run under pressure with a lift pump. This may not be a popular opinion but I’ve removed the stock filter head from my first 2 trucks. My ‘02 already had it removed. With 2 filters on the lift pump there is plenty of filtering. If you feel you need more get a filter head from NAPA for a screw on filter and add it to the system. This was my setup on the ‘04.
holy smokes...so i need to do a filter head rebuild kit and a lift pump?

Mar 20, 2016
ahh, i think i will follow recommendations, since those that made comments have experience and anything to prolong the life of my vehicle and help....appreciate the advice

Mar 20, 2016
one other bummer i have going on looks to be an abs or ebs module...i have the two lights popping up on my dashboard randomly....looking to get all these parts and try to do around same time?

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
Every Duramax I have owned I deleted the factor fuel filter when I added a airdog system. The factory filters are a pita to change.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
one other bummer i have going on looks to be an abs or ebs module...i have the two lights popping up on my dashboard randomly....looking to get all these parts and try to do around same time?
I know this isn’t a fix, but those 2 lights have been on in my parents ‘01 Yukon for years lol. They haven’t experienced any adverse braking problems with it though, just the lights on the dash.