Work shoes

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm looking for some good work shoes, and I thought you guys might be able to point me in the right direction. Here's what I'm looking for. I would like to find a low rise athletic style shoe with a leather upper (must be leather over the toes, the mesh burns up when I weld) that will hold up to daily abuse and be slip resistant. I usually wear running style shoes, but they just don't hold up. I've been looking at some shoes by Red Wing, Snap On, and Keen, but I thought a little more feedback would be nice.

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I used to wear steel toe hikers in the past, and they worked well. I usually bought Dakota since they were cheap and held up pretty good. Now when I'm working on my own junk in the shop (driveway-outside:eek:) I usually wear DC's, and they actually hold up not bad.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I'm looking for some good work shoes, and I thought you guys might be able to point me in the right direction. Here's what I'm looking for. I would like to find a low rise athletic style shoe with a leather upper (must be leather over the toes, the mesh burns up when I weld) that will hold up to daily abuse and be slip resistant. I usually wear running style shoes, but they just don't hold up. I've been looking at some shoes by Red Wing, Snap On, and Keen, but I thought a little more feedback would be nice.

Danner's are good and comfortable. I wear Nicks or Whites but they are over 400$ a pair now. But I love my Nicks

Combine Pilot

They Call Me Mike
Feb 7, 2010
Saskatchewan
I've used Cats and Dakotas. I actually want to try a pair of Blundstone or Redback boots. I like the idea of slipping them on and off when going in and out of the shop in the winter and spring. Normally I'd just wear my lace up boots outside because I didn't feel like changing boots and they'd get wet and I think that's hard on boots.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Snap on mid rise by coast are awesome.
They are 100 bucks.
Red and black basically as close to new balance as u can get.
They don't like brake or tranny fluid as in standing puddles.

from mobile

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Just to clarify, these are the types of shoes I'm looking for:

06691_IS

Daytona-3.0-2.jpg

2342687-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
I wear these mountain bike shoes. Teva

I originally got them for dirt jumping and skatepark riding (they are amazing for this too) and they just turned out to be the most comfortable shoe I have ever owned. They have lots of support and the sole absorbs a lot of impact and stuff. They are "water proof, " which has kept them from melting while welding/grinding. I wore them for the year or so I worked at DBRods, and they helped keep my back pain down with all the standing. They have lasted me 2 years now (there a-bouts) and i still bike/work in them.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
been happy with my Red Wings. But I've had to throw out their insoles and replace with the DR schols that you stand on the foot scanner to get

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
EDIT: just saw the pics. Keens are a pretty good shoe, and also i only weigh 150lbs so depending on weight the Teva's might not last as long

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I wear these mountain bike shoes. Teva

I originally got them for dirt jumping and skatepark riding (they are amazing for this too) and they just turned out to be the most comfortable shoe I have ever owned. They have lots of support and the sole absorbs a lot of impact and stuff. They are "water proof, " which has kept them from melting while welding/grinding. I wore them for the year or so I worked at DBRods, and they helped keep my back pain down with all the standing. They have lasted me 2 years now (there a-bouts) and i still bike/work in them.

I think I might have to try a pair of these.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Another here for Snap On. I was going through boots/shoe laces every 6 months. On almost two years now on my Snap On's. They suck horribly on ice/slick surfaces though.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
EDIT: just saw the pics. Keens are a pretty good shoe, and also i only weigh 150lbs so depending on weight the Teva's might not last as long

Yeah, I guess you noticed I'm just a little heavier than 150. :spit:

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
Not in a few years, but I have been wanting to get back into it. Not sure what I'm looking for now though. What do you ride?

Then these are the shoes for you! I have a NS Bikes Majesty that I mostly ride, also a Kona "A" for cross country, and sometimes i ride my roommates NS Soda Slope, its a blast

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh

That's exactly what I was gonna propose josh. Red wing makes some really nice low cut shoes with fantastic cushion especially for welding and standing on concrete all day. I don't have the low cuts but I have the mid boots with gel soles and I love them for welding. Mine have the new aluminum toe which is great and lightweight I would go with the red wing in the pic.