Without struggles you can't get stronger.........

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Be it physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually.. it all applies

Got an email from my dad today, and it's not exactly one you want going into holidays or any time really, it really nice seeing him take this in stride.. and with optimistic view... because well can't do it any other way or at least shouldn't IMO

Little back ground, 58yo 5 kids 6 grandkids ranging from 10-2, married 37.5 years, power lifts, does Spartan race, definetly has had a fairly full/fruitful life.. by most accounts

While I'm probably not as close to him as I'd like... He definitely raised the 5 of us to be self sufficient and self reliant or at least think/problem solve that way. to run on our own, the 5 of us are spread out across the USA for the most part.. to be independent thinkers, and not be afraid to go against the grain..

I'm sure someone will notice this apple didn't fall far from the tree, on some aspects..

Low grade/stage 2 lymphoma. Nothing to do at the moment, though there will be a bone marrow biopsy in January.

I asked what I should be looking for “pain bad enough that you can’t do stuff” or a couple other things. Well, that’s not exactly comforting, but better than just wondering about every ache and pain.

It may progress to stage 4 in 2 months or 2 years or a decade. Very mushy.

We’ll be researching vitamins, etc. You google experts are welcome to contribute.

At the moment we’re at the Orlando airport getting ready to fly to Ohio for 5 days....

Got him to expound on few things.. email few hours later.

Adam asked me some questions and I realized that I had not given enough information.

The main marker for prostate cancer is the PSA test. PSA is produced by the prostate gland OR by prostate cancer cells anywhere in the body. It is not a direct check for cancer, but an indicator that something is not right. PSA goes up (over 4), you either get a biopsy of the prostate and/or an MRI of the prostate to see what is going on. In order to officially have cancer, you have to have a biopsy.

Assuming cancer is found, there are 3 basic treatments.
surgical removal of the prostate which is no good if the cancer has spread outside of the prostate and has lots of complications and side effects.
some form of radiation (there are at least 4 types now), all of which have some of the same complications and side effects, but at least it's not surgery.
ADT/hormone deprivation therapy/chemical castration. The docs never use the last phrase, but that's what it is (literally..it's the same drugs the courts use for repeat sex offenders). This is really the only option if the cancer has metastasized outside the prostate. Once it has metastasized, it is incurable. The ADT can control it for a while. In some men "a while" is months, in others it is literally decades. But it is not pleasant.

Many doctors will do surgery or radiation and ADT. Some will do all 3.

So for me
HiFU #1, PSA was 14+, dropped to 0.7 after.
HiFU #2 PSA went back up to the 6 area, then dropped close to 1. In both cases it "should" have gone to 0.

Since it didn't drop to zero and started climbing again, we started scanning.

MRI of the pelvis specifically looking for prostate cancer - zilch
Bone scan looking for prostate cancer - zilch
PET scan from head to toe - swollen lymph glands in the abdomen, but they do not look like prostate cancer.

At this point I was referred from my urological oncologist to a hematology oncologist (ie, blood cancers which is what lymphoma falls under).

4 or 5 blood tests checking for specific types of cancers came back negative so we did a needle biopsy of a lymph gland in my abdomen this past Monday. Everyone has several hundred lymph nodes in their abdomen. "A bunch" (yeah, they used that phrase) of mine are inflamed/swollen/enlarged (all 3 terms have been used).

The results came back as the "low grade/stage 2 lymphoma".
Low grade means it is not aggressive (this is very good). The "grade" is determined by visual inspection of a tissue sample (yeah, really scientific and precise)
Stage 2 means it is confined to a specific organ(s) (the lymph glands) (this is also good)
It is NOT prostate cancer (this is good).
It is lymphatic cancer (this is not good)

At this point, there is no need to treat it...or it's not worth treating since I'm "asymptomatic"..ie, nothing hurts. I think this really means "the insurance won't pay for treatment until it gets worse" but that could just be my cynicism coming out.

The next step is a bone marrow biopsy (drill a hole in a hip bone and suck some marrow out) to make sure it is not hiding inside my bones. There was also some mention of making sure the genetics are right, but I don't know enough about that yet. If the marrow comes back positive, then it has metastasized (become Stage 4) and I'll be onto some sort of chemotherapy. But that is at least 2 months away at this point. If the marrow comes back negative, then I will be seeing the oncologist every 3 months for...a long while with repeated scans til I glow in the dark.

The best case (according to the Dr) is that it just sits there and doesn't grow. She didn't have any thought that diet or anything else would make a difference (we think different). Worst case is that it has spread to my bones. Middle case is that it grows and one of the lymph nodes starts pressing on a nerve or an organ and causes problems. Either of the bad cases can "happen in 2 months, 2 years or a decade".

At this point I've been scanned in various ways 7 or 8 times now (I think). I've been injected with at least 4 kinds of dyes or radioactive tracers. I've been under general anesthesia 1/2 dozen times in the last 3 years for various procedures and had things stuck in various areas that I would never have dreamed of.

So the good news is that "I'm not dead yet" as Monty Python said and not likely to die "soon" for some definition of soon. I feel fine and have no visible symptoms, no lumps or bumps that you can press and ooh and aah over or make me scream with. I still seem to be getting stronger with my lifting, etc and I'm having a blast at work. I still shock the drs because I'm only on 1 medication (low dose of high blood pressure med).

The not so good news is that the next test (bone marrow biopsy) could flip me from "let's watch it" to "let's start pumping poison into your system hopefully killing the cancer before the poison kills you" state.

The long term outlook is that I get to cycle through the previous sentence every 3-6 months for quite a while praying it never flips. This is NOT FUN but obviously preferable to the poison thing.

God is good and faithful in all things. I'm learning to rest in Him every day.

In the meantime, we will enjoy each other's company while we can, tomorrow isn't promised it's always a blessing

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Sorry for your struggles Adam. I know I don’t really know ya but At least there’s good news in there and not all bad. So true about tomorrow tho. No one knows. Keep ya in my prayers :hug:

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Honestly a positive attitude is just as strong as any medication in my opinion. I was 15 when my mom was diagnosed and she had to do the whole 9 yards. I was 15 when I got a full time job to help my mom pay the bills because the treatment costs weren’t totally covered by here insurance. She was tough, made jokes when she shaved her head, got tattoos, prayed a lot but stayed real about her chances so she made the best of it. At the time my parents were split and I’m the baby of 5 and they were all out of the house but they would come by and help anytime so that helped a ton.

But I can proudly say 10 years later here we are, She has her health back and goes in for scheduled check ups. Shit I took her out for her 50th a month ago and got her toasted! Her attitude was tough and we all continued to grow as a family, we’d go out for dinner and a movie and then go wig shopping or bandanna shopping on eBay. It’s a trip to think about that now, the late nights over the toilet with her and at dinner making her eat and rubbing her legs and feet and taking care of her.
Keep your current attitude bud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I wasn't really worried about the prostate cancer, it's fairly easy to beat, especially when caught early... though FDA needs to get the HiFU approved, tho big pharma doesnt like it...

While lymphoma imo definitely more serious, is nice to know For being 58(12/8) and only med he's on is HP blood in a low dose, he's in better overall shape than majority of people his age and younger.

Glad your mom pulled through Novak:thumb:

Worse comes around... I'd much rather be the laying him 6' under vs him laying me 6' under.. though still like him to hang around for another 30 years or so

Last edited:

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Anything like that is hard to handle, no matter the time of year. Sorry to hear the troubles your dad is having, but sounds like there's some good news hiding in there. I'll send a prayer your way :hug:

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Good luck to your family man. Sounds like a tough dude.

My mom's stroke is actually what brought me to a Duramax build. I needed a distraction and y'all helped a lot there ;)

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Wow Adam, that's a heck of an email to read. I hope for nothing but the best for you and your family.

I know for a fact that diet does play a big role in fighting this. And I also know, you guys might think I'm an absolute nut job but, cannabis oil works. I've seen first hand evidence of it working. No guys, I don't believe in hocuspocus, I just believe what I saw with my own eyes.

In any case Adam, your dad sounds like a tough guy that will beat this. Like was said, attitude plays a big role.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you!

Nick

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
He did do cannabis for left over prostate cancer..(lives in FL)
Idk how aggressive he's using it.

Had lunch today with him and mom, talked politics, trucking industry, computer industry (he's a Senior solution analysist for red hat/Linux basically his dream job)

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Sorry to hear. Sounds like he’s making the best of it all though. We will keep you in our thoughts and pray for the best outcome. Keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Well finally got some good news
Biopsy for lymphoma came back...not cancerous and just needs to be watched... Also prostate cancer has not matastized in the lymph nodes.. current on hormone treatment for the prostate cancer....
Good news he was doing 415# squat with swinging chains couple days ago

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Gues I could update this...
Dad went terminal around thanksgiving of '19
Found a mass that blocked and ultimately ulcerated his colon. C19 hit shortly before he was to get a colostomy bag.. which made him septic that August. Which result in 3 different colostomy related surgeries.
The poison knocked him further on his knees.

The mass basically grew and cause major blood loss Early October.. his HBg3 was less then 1/2 of what it supposed to be, causing him to collapse and a ride to the ER... they pumped 8-9 units in and didn't get much better..

His B-day is 12/8 so we had it earlier on 11/8.
Friends and family that could travel made it.
I spent first 1/2 of November up there with them. Spent a lot of time with a audio recorder just talking and rambling about everything
He went hospice around 12/12..
From what my sister said there was some very interesting shenanigans that where probably drug induced happened during that time.. including thinking Mom and my sister where WW2 guards.. trying to use his cell as a launch key pad button on some mission..sad then, funny now lol..
due to his mental state, and blessings of my mom and sister I didn't go up there. I'm 5'10" 250# didn't want my size to cause more issues.
He passed at home on the morning of 12/18/20 with mom by his side.

Local station was playing Garth Brooks The Dance while the corner was taking him. Definitely surreal and helped the emotions flow..
He got cremated in Cleveland area.. when they where bringing him back to Youngstown.. his ashes went Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Erie, Pittsburgh then finally Youngstown.. whether that was intentional or unintentional via the USPS.. it was rather insulting of them.. definitely a chuckle now.
The "zoom" funerals where rather impersonal.. though it allow several of dad's international friends to pay their respects.
Mom waited ~2 years sold the house , then bought a RV full timed for about 10 months spread dad's ashes at various important places for them. Currently can't travel much anymore more settled 30 minutes or so from my baby sister in TX and moved into an active Senior assisted living place.

Something I found back when my grandma passed in '12.. doesn't really help with the hole loss/grief makes.. definitely helps understand it a little better.
If you Google GSNow grief Reddit this should come up
https://www.reddit.com/r/Assistance/comments/hax0t/_/c1u0rx2 Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Assistance/comments/hax0t/comment/c1u0rx2/