Wife's canyon issues

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So besides the little issues I've had here and there with her 08 5cyl canyon, I can't get this damn one to go away.

The truck will throw a "a/c off" reading in the dic, kill the a/c and the temp gauge won't work. This only occurs after driving a mile or two in the morning on first start up. Sometimes it will stay off all they way into her work and other times is only a short distance. Of course each time I drive it, I can't get it to replicate. The motor is no where near "too hot" to kill the a/c like the safety setup was made for. I've replaced the thermostat for safe measure and the coolant temp sensor, no change and no codes.

Anyone have any thoughts? I feel it's a pin issue somwhere but figured I'd see if anyone has any enlightenment before I dig into the connectors. I may drive this for a week straight with efi hooked up so I can hopefully catch the issue.

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
I'm interested in seeing where this goes. My buddy had the same issue turned out to be low coolant??? WTF? I assume you filled it and cleared it of air bubbles when you replaced the thermostat? I'll ask my bud if he did any thing else to his.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Voltage as in???

It ohms out the same as the new one in water as you heat it up. But wasn't really expecting to find an open there being as sporadic as it is

trashygasman

Slowly but Surely
Dec 18, 2008
Washington, OK
My truck had some wierd issues a few yrs ago...blinkers wouldn't work, a/c compressor would go off and no cruise control....turned out to be a bad connection on an ECM fuse under the hood. Might check that out.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Already done that. It's a common issue as I search around but no one has given a solid "fix" for it

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
ill try posting it first.

#PIC5048: A/C Inoperative And No DTCs Set - keywords AC air block center compressor condition diode electrical fuse HVAC inoperative open test - (Dec 3, 2008)
Subject: A/C Inoperative and No DTCs Set

Models: 2007-2009 Chevrolet Colorado
2007-2009 GMC Canyon
2006-2009 Hummer H3 models

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment that their A/C is inoperative. Further diagnostics may reveal no DTCs set. This condition may be caused by an open A/C CMPRSR fuse due to a shorted A/C diode located in the under hood Fuse Block

Recommendation/Instructions:
Inspect the A/C CMPRSR fuse located in the under hood Fuse Block. If the A/C CMPRSR fuse is open, replace the A/C CMPRSR fuse and A/C diode located in the under hood Fuse Block. Refer to SI or the fuse box cover to locate the A/C CMPRSR fuse and Diode location. If the A/C CMPRSR fuse is not open, follow normal diagnostic procedures using Service Information.

Note: If the A/C CMPRSR fuse is found to be open, DO NOT replace entire under hood Fuse Block to correct this condition. Only replace the A/C CMPRSR Fuse and Diode. These items are available from SPO without the replacement of the entire under hood Fuse Block.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
well just FYI, issue is back. checked that fuse and diode, logan and it checked out. wonder if EFI Live can turn that message off...

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
I know it's only a couple months old but I wonder if the thermostat didn't fail. Being a "failsafe" might make you temp just a tad too cold.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I know it's only a couple months old but I wonder if the thermostat didn't fail. Being a "failsafe" might make you temp just a tad too cold.

When the thermostat fails, it throws a p0128 code

thats what ive been reading. ill throw the scanner on it and check for codes but does it cause the damn temp gauge to die when that code hits? it seems kinda rediculous to think that when "A/C off" comes on due to it not warming up quick enough or getting too hot, it would kill the temp gauge. in my mind, its gotta be a connection issue

Logan, if you wouldnt mind seeing if you can get me a lay out of the coolant temp sensor wiring and maybe a diag sheet on testing the wiring or what the ECM should be giving for a ref voltage? i would greatly appreciate it :D

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
Yep I can I am in Canada right now and on my phone when I get back to the hotel later I will for you.

Your temp gauge might just not be moving because the thermostat is blown apart and never getting any heat in it. It will be later tonight.

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
I belive the iat sensor can cause the same issue, it may have been the ambient sensor though.log those and see if either one drops down below 0 when the message is on.

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
Here is the layout for the p0128 code just incase, alot with the pinout for the sensor, and the wiring for the sensor as well. Hope it helps. (the image attached is the wiring diagram)

Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor
Pin
Wire
Circuit
Function

Pin A
0.35 BLACK
Low Reference

Pin B
0.35 YELLOW
ECT Sensor Signal

Service Information Home Publications Number Search New Bulletins Bulletin Search Feedback Help

2008 GMC Truck Canyon Pickup - 2WD | Canyon, Colorado, I-290, I-370 VIN S/T Service Manual | Document ID: 1972216
DTC P0128
Diagnostic Instructions
Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.
Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.
DTC Descriptor
DTC P0128
Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature

Diagnostic Fault Information
Circuit
Short to Ground
High Resistance
Open
Short to Voltage
Signal Performance
ECT Sensor Signal
P0117
P0118
P0118
P0118
P0116, P0128
Low Reference

P0118
P0118
P0118
P0128
Typical Scan Tool Data
ECT Sensor
Circuit
Short to Ground
Open
Short to Voltage
Operating Conditions: Engine running at various operating conditions
Parameter Normal Range: Varies with coolant temperature
ECT Sensor Signal
150°C (302°F)
−40°C (−40°F)
−40°C (−40°F)
Low Reference

−40°C (−40°F)
−40°C (−40°F)
Circuit/System Description
The engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor is a variable resistor that measures the temperature of the engine coolant. The engine control module (ECM) supplies 5 volts to the ECT sensor signal circuit and a ground for the low reference circuit.

The purpose of this diagnostic is to analyze the performance of the thermostat, by using the ECT sensor to determine if the engine coolant will increase at the correct rate, and also meet the calibrated target temperatures under various operating conditions. The ECM uses the start-up ECT and the start-up intake air temperature (IAT) to begin the diagnostic calculation. The air flow into the engine is accumulated , and vehicle speed, distance, and engine run time are also factored in to determine if the ECT does increase normally and reach the calibrated target temperatures.

Conditions for Running the DTC
DTC P0101, P0102, P0103, P0106, P0107, P0108, P0112, P0113, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0121, P0122, P0123, P0502, or P0503 is not set.
The start-up ECT is colder than 65°C (122°F) when the start-up IAT is colder than 10°C (50°F).
OR
The start-up ECT is colder than 75°C (167°F) when the start-up IAT is warmer than 10°C (50°F).
The start-up IAT is between −7 to +55°C (+19 to +131°F).
The engine run time is between 30 seconds and 30 minutes.
The vehicle has traveled greater than 0.8 kilometers (0.5 miles) at greater than 8 km/h (5 mph).
The mass air flow (MAF) average is greater than 1 g/s.
This DTC runs once per ignition cycle within the enabling conditions.
Conditions for Setting the DTC
The ECM detects that the maximum amount of cumulative airflow has been attained, and the minimum ECT of 70°C (158°F) has not been reached with a start-up IAT colder than 10°C (50°F).

OR

The ECM detects that the maximum amount of cumulative airflow has been attained, and the minimum ECT of 80°C (176°F) has not been reached with a start-up IAT warmer than 10°C (50°F).

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
DTC P0128 is a Type B DTC.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
DTC P0128 is a Type B DTC.

Diagnostic Aids
DTC P0128 occurring with insufficient vehicle interior heating is an indication of improper thermostat operation.
Corrosion in the ECT sensor terminals or the ECT harness connector results in a greater voltage on the ECT sensor signal circuit, which is interpreted by the ECM as a colder ECT.
A slight to moderate resistance in the ECT sensor signal circuit or low reference circuit will affect this diagnostic. This condition results in a greater voltage on the ECT sensor signal circuit, which is interpreted by the ECM as a colder ECT.
Reference Information
Schematic Reference
Engine Controls Schematics

Connector End View Reference
Component Connector End Views

Electrical Information Reference
Circuit Testing
Connector Repairs
Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections
Wiring Repairs
DTC Type Reference
Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Type Definitions

Scan Tool Reference
Control Module References for scan tool information

Circuit/System Verification
Ignition OFF, inspect the cooling system surge tank for the proper coolant level. Refer to Cooling System Leak Testing and Cooling System Draining and Filling.
Ignition OFF for 8 hours or greater.
Ignition ON, observe the scan tool ECT Sensor and IAT Sensor parameters. The ECT, IAT and ambient temperatures should be within 15°C (27°F) of each other.
Important: A critical analysis of the operation of the thermostat is necessary to properly diagnose this DTC.
Verify the proper heat range, and the operation of the thermostat. Refer to Thermostat Diagnosis.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC to verify the DTC does not reset. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.
Circuit/System Testing
Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the ECT sensor.
Ignition OFF for 90 seconds, test for less than 5 ohms between the low reference circuit terminal A and ground.
If greater than the specified range, test the low reference circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.
Ignition ON, verify the scan tool ECT Sensor parameter is colder than −39°C (−38°F).
If warmer than the specified range, test the signal circuit terminal B for a short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.
Install a 3A fused jumper wire between the signal circuit terminal B and the low reference circuit terminal A. Verify the scan tool ECT Sensor parameter is warmer than 149°C (300°F).
If colder than the specified range, test the signal circuit for a short to voltage or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.
If the circuits test normal, test or replace the ECT sensor.
Component Testing
Measure and record the resistance of the ECT sensor at various ambient temperatures, then compare those measurements to the Temperature Versus Resistance table .

Repair Instructions
Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the diagnostic procedure.

Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Replacement
Engine Coolant Thermostat Replacement
Control Module References for ECM replacement, setup, and programming
© 2015 General Motors. All rights reserved.

Attachments

• 1907056.jpg
    1907056.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 8

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So drove the wifes rig to work today. wish the tracker had this much power :D. did not get it to duplicate the issue but the engine temp is not right. it will come up to the 1/4 mark on temp gauge and stay there. if i run the throttle hard, it will come up a bit more then stay. the thermostat must be stuck partly open. i went to log it before i left and for some damn reason i cant with v7.5 and didnt have time to screw with 8 to get the scan tool set up. Im going to get that straighten out after work and log it on the way home. Checked for codes though and nothing comes up.

I ordered a new thermostat off amazon and will be here tonight. im 90% sure thats the issue. makes no sense why the damn temp gauge falls to 0 when "A/C off" comes on, may be the thermostat cracking open early and really dropping the temp that much but without the damn scanner on it, i cant tell.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Just to close the thread out.

Never got the t stat in the day it showed up. Got side tracked with other stuff. Anyhow, today the wife called on the way home saying the damn a/c off message came on and would not go off all the way home (not good on a preggo wife). Pulled it in and still said the same thing. Checked codes and there was the P0128. So pulled the t stat and replaced it. Started it up and still gave the a/c off message. Let it run seeing if it would clear its self as I check for air in the system. Once the t stat opened, check inside and still said a/c off and the temp gauge was not working. Cleared the code and all goes back to normal.

Not gunna lie, that is absolutely retarded of GM to kill the temp gauge on the dash when it throws the code. In our temps out here, watching that gauge is as important as the fuel gauge.

I'm 99% sure she's all fixed up and ready to rock now. Plus keep momma happy.