Why are compounds good for towing?

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Stibuilder, I'm sorry for sidetracking your thread. Hopefully we can continue the discussion on compounds for towing. I'll start a thread in build forum about my truck.

stibuilder

Oct 17, 2016
Snoqualmie, WA
Stibuilder, I'm sorry for sidetracking your thread. Hopefully we can continue the discussion on compounds for towing. I'll start a thread in build forum about my truck.

No problem I am just hear to learn. If it made more sense to upgrade the valley charger at the same time I did want to hear about it.

My goal is to increase the towing performance while keeping the egts down. Along with doing something a little more unique on a Kodiak.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
continuing the Q/A and learning process, I've often wondered about the strain of compounds for towing on the engine at lower RPM and on the stock cooling system? Tons of low end power for towing and no lag sounds great, but when we're all here with low torque tuning to keep stock engines alive, it seems a little troublesome to think the advantage is mo' power sooner/lower in the rev range :confused:

stibuilder

Oct 17, 2016
Snoqualmie, WA
continuing the Q/A and learning process, I've often wondered about the strain of compounds for towing on the engine at lower RPM and on the stock cooling system? Tons of low end power for towing and no lag sounds great, but when we're all here with low torque tuning to keep stock engines alive, it seems a little troublesome to think the advantage is mo' power sooner/lower in the rev range :confused:

Some good points. Will be interesting to see what others feel like. I have tried to combat heat as it is by adding a secondary oil cooler and going to the biggest Kodiak IC and Radiator GM made for them. My truck alone weighs right about 11k so with the car in the trailer we are right about 20K. Thats like a pickup with a 13k trailer?

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Your certainly going to heat the engine oil up more due to the fact the atmosphere turbo is also heating it up, I doubt it will be an issue especially since you've added a cooler. Drive pressure will be up a bit more and the stress on the bottom end doesn't have to be an issue, it can be tuned to not have allot of fuel down low. I'd also consider a good tcm tune that will raise the shift points a bit which will also keep you from having so much torque in the lower RPMs. There are lots of ways to set it up but this is probably what I'd do if I were to do a setup like you mentioned.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Where's Johnny - our resident drifting Kodiak guy? Didn't he have twins and tow commercially? Or just a modded VNT?

Johnny runs a danville 72 on his big rig. he just abused the hell out of that truck in the dunes, hauling stuff, drifting, racing, etc :roflmao:

there is a point where this becomes too much but not till you are above 450-500hp and towing heavy. the engine its self will still have its limits as far as how much torque/cylinder pressure it can take before a rod bends but the cooling system will become more taxed as well as oil temps and trans temps. outside air temps are the biggest factor on when/how your cooling system will be taxed.

STI, you will be lighter than my overall weight when loaded down. i gross about 24-25k on my truck/trailer during the summer. i have a ton of upgrades in cooling from every aspect and still can not keep my truck cool enough in the summer to run 70mph up the hills to go up north with a 600rwhp tow tune. fall/winter time, 70 mph in 5th gear is no issue up those grades and the temps never see over 210-215. Summer time, im stuck at 45-55mph, 230-235* coolant temp and 250-260* oil temp. 113* outside temp is fricken killer. that said, no stock truck is pulling the grades that fast though with this much weight

stibuilder

Oct 17, 2016
Snoqualmie, WA
Johnny runs a danville 72 on his big rig. he just abused the hell out of that truck in the dunes, hauling stuff, drifting, racing, etc :roflmao:

there is a point where this becomes too much but not till you are above 450-500hp and towing heavy. the engine its self will still have its limits as far as how much torque/cylinder pressure it can take before a rod bends but the cooling system will become more taxed as well as oil temps and trans temps. outside air temps are the biggest factor on when/how your cooling system will be taxed.

STI, you will be lighter than my overall weight when loaded down. i gross about 24-25k on my truck/trailer during the summer. i have a ton of upgrades in cooling from every aspect and still can not keep my truck cool enough in the summer to run 70mph up the hills to go up north with a 600rwhp tow tune. fall/winter time, 70 mph in 5th gear is no issue up those grades and the temps never see over 210-215. Summer time, im stuck at 45-55mph, 230-235* coolant temp and 250-260* oil temp. 113* outside temp is fricken killer. that said, no stock truck is pulling the grades that fast though with this much weight

Yeah any place with 113* outside temps I don't need to be. :roflmao: I don't have a problem slowing down in temps that hot.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015

What type of cooling upgrades are you running?

I was going to ask why you run a 600rwhp tow tune but I guess your last sentence answers that. You don’t think dialing that down and thus bringing the temps down would help in the summer?
You don’t think one of the newest generation trucks could keep up with the massive factory numbers? Just curious.