Which Wheel Hubs?

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
So, after careful consideration and much annoyance of what I suspect to be wheel hubs being shot, I am debating which hubs to buy. I'm looking at the DMAX store branded XD hubs over the more expensive Kryptonite brand. They look very similar. Has anyone ran the DMAX store XDs and had good luck with them or would you throw money at Kryptonite? Truck has 105k on it now and has been leveled since around 50k. Thanks for any suggestions/recommendations.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Amazon or RockAuto for Timken or SKF, unless that store has one of them for less $$.

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
Amazon or RockAuto for Timken or SKF, unless that store has one of them for less $$.
Do you have a preference on which one has better longevity/performance? RockAuto has the Timken listed as a standard replacement and costing 2 dollars more than the SKF listed as a heavy duty. Curious if there is an actual difference?

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
I keep going back to, is it worth the extra $$ to go to Kryptonite? They claim to have a Lifetime warranty on theirs. I plan on keeping the truck for the foreseeable future... For $404 and change I can get the SKF with a 3 year warranty or I can pay $456 and change for Kryptonite and Lifetime..

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I keep going back to, is it worth the extra $$ to go to Kryptonite? They claim to have a Lifetime warranty on theirs. I plan on keeping the truck for the foreseeable future... For $404 and change I can get the SKF with a 3 year warranty or I can pay $456 and change for Kryptonite and Lifetime..

I've had very good luck with Timken and Kryptonite. My built motor truck has Timken that were put on ~50k/3yrs ago and my daily driver has Raybestos (cheapest with lifetime warranty I could find) have about 10k on them without an issue.

Out of the sets of Kryptonite I've sold and or installed, I have had only 1 bearing fail and that was because the guy who installed them ran them home with a milwaukee impact.

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
I've had very good luck with Timken and Kryptonite. My built motor truck has Timken that were put on ~50k/3yrs ago and my daily driver has Raybestos (cheapest with lifetime warranty I could find) have about 10k on them without an issue.

Out of the sets of Kryptonite I've sold and or installed, I have had only 1 bearing fail and that was because the guy who installed them ran them home with a milwaukee impact.
Food for thought, thank you.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Do you have a preference on which one has better longevity/performance? RockAuto has the Timken listed as a standard replacement and costing 2 dollars more than the SKF listed as a heavy duty. Curious if there is an actual difference?

Either one is usually the best quality option for me in the past. The only other ones Ive ever used on a car were ACDelco OEM replacements. Never had an issue with any of those 3 brands.

I personally have never been a fan of Kryptonite, but thats just me. Never understood what the hype was all about.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
I’ve installed one set of krypronite brand hubs. They wanted the lifetime warranty piece of mind. He’s had them on for about 3 years no issues. I personally installed gm oem ones on my truck. 9 years and 50k no issues. Leveled truck and -12 offset wheels

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Kryptonite is generally no different than others on these types of parts. Just a rebranded hub with their warranty. Just like the majority of their XD parts are. Check the fine print, usually it has to be sent back and you pay return shipping and shipping on the new part. Timkin is generally what everyone likes to use, unless you just have to have that warranty.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
lifetime warranty is great...... if you can get the hubs. guess what happens with a dmax store or kyrptonite hub fails? you have to send it in for them to justify if dmaxstore will warranty it. how much downtime you want waiting on a response or just shipping time?

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I bought the cheap lifetime warranty hubs from 1A Auto (came in a TRQ box IIRC). Only downfall is having downtime waiting on a replacement through an online retailer. But same deal with Roackauto or Dmaxstore

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
I put over 100k on Timkens on my LB7 and almost 20k so far on my LML with no issues. Amazon and were on my door in two days.