Which Turbocharger is right for me?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Once you start this race it will not end well. Stock LBZ with a single cp3 and stock injectors I think I saw 550 area rwhp but that was on a tune for nos and made around 580 with a little shot. You will crack a piston in the LBZ fast before you even know it. Mine lived under some hard use for 30.500 miles your not going to see 800 rwhp out of it and live. Get the credit cards or check book out and ready to pull the motor.The ride gets bumpy after that .

Not one single more true post on this site than this.

Just substitute " bend LB7/LLY rods" for "crack a piston in the LBZ" and you cover all the bases.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
So the 4088r, or s366, is a good towing turbo that is going to provide nominal power numbers over stock, but have much greater than stock potential in a twin set up? Has anyone used the 4088 in the gtx series? I saw a you tube of this years? SEMA event. There was a garrett rep that indicated this year you can order almost any of their models of turbo, with the new gtx wheel. However the guy stated the gtx wheels were not interchangeable with the R housings. Does anyone know anything about this? I was drooling over a gt4094r, a gt4088x though, looks mighty tasty.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
So the 4088r, or s366, is a good towing turbo that is going to provide nominal power numbers over stock, but have much greater than stock potential in a twin set up? Has anyone used the 4088 in the gtx series? I saw a you tube of this years? SEMA event. There was a garrett rep that indicated this year you can order almost any of their models of turbo, with the new gtx wheel. However the guy stated the gtx wheels were not interchangeable with the R housings. Does anyone know anything about this? I was drooling over a gt4094r, a gt4088x though, looks mighty tasty.

Most of the GTX turbos are GTX4202R there just getting the X series out there in more models. I like the S366 over the GT4088 and GT4094 turbos.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo

And no there is no GTX4088R there is a GTX3582R and GTX4294R and GTX4202R and up

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Is garrett overrated? Kinda buyin a brand sorta thing, great quality n all but over priced none the less? What are the key attributes of the s366 that cause you to push their product over any other? You mentioned in a previous post spool was effortless, did you mean that from a dig or from any rpm @ any time?

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
Borg turbos are about half the price of garretts.... You get similar perfomance out of both which is why most people get the Borg chargers to save some sweet mula. Garretts offer ball bearing turbos which spool faster (they really do) and the have that nice whistle! Like I said most people go with the borgs because it's the best bang for the buck.... But I'm a Garret nut swinger for life:woott:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
We sell both and I have ran both. I have a Garrett on the truck now and as tea bag said if you have money that's the way. But most do not the setup we sell is a very good one dual journal bearing 360 thrust washer most of you S300 series turbos do not have this. The ones I sell in my kit are built on a S330 and also run a larger shaft.You will also see a lower egt with these turbos with the built in gates and faster spool up.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
And no there is no GTX4088R there is a GTX3582R and GTX4294R and GTX4202R and up

Thats what i was asking, really. Cuz on paper that is what garrett is commiting to. But in the you tube vid from SEMA, the rep was makin some big claims. I was just curious if the gtx series had expanded or been tested by any of you all yet? Admittedly, your avatar TeaBagger, it gives me a chub too. If, if that rep was not full of it we should be able to order a gtx in any model this year, prob a special order item, gonna be an abrupt bend and no lube kinda deal.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Thats what i was asking, really. Cuz on paper that is what garrett is commiting to. But in the you tube vid from SEMA, the rep was makin some big claims. I was just curious if the gtx series had expanded or been tested by any of you all yet? Admittedly, your avatar TeaBagger, it gives me a chub too. If, if that rep was not full of it we should be able to order a gtx in any model this year, prob a special order item, gonna be an abrupt bend and no lube kinda deal.

They showed us a few turbos at SEMA this past year. Do you have the link I can call my Garrett rep Monday.

The one I liked
091.jpg

090.jpg

089.jpg

094.jpg

093.jpg

Last edited:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
O.M.G that was better than... well lets just say i miss my wife. My favorite was the 4508. Were these pics from SEMA?

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
So here is the next big Q. The set up that i keep looking to is - gtx4508r feeding a gt4094R. I like this set up because it resembles a no compimise system. Initially i wont ever run this set up to its potential, l know. I dont want to buy different chargers down the road, rather build one turbo @ a time eventually leading to an engine build, then the twins can come out to play..., rough. Is this just too much to much to retain the streetability of the truck tho? Do you guys think this set up can be tuned for good street manners, and do you think this set up would be reliable to tow with? I know it will be expensive, how much does a gtx4508 go for anyways?

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
If a guy was just lookin to upgrade from sig 4094 to twin w/4508gtx. What do you think that will run. I know, i know, there is more to it, i just need to hear that #. If this is straying off topic for this thread let me know, its not intentional.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Dig deep looking at 14 to 16 k area for the kit.

If a guy was just lookin to upgrade from sig 4094 to twin w/4508gtx. What do you think that will run. I know, i know, there is more to it, i just need to hear that #. If this is straying off topic for this thread let me know, its not intentional.

I posted that answer that is for both turbos and twin piping and intercooler and parts that go with kit. And your still in need of a built Trans to boot and a fuel system to supply it. Then your next budget will be the motor fund to build.