Which forged piston??

wilsondiesel

Nov 11, 2015
Sedalia, MO
I’m building a lb7 sled pull engine this winter with a partial filled block and I’m having a hard time deciding between Mahle Forged, Fingers Mahle Forged, Ross pistons or CP. is Aries owned by CP now? Or are there any other brands I should look into? Diamond is a little rich for my blood. From my research no one has had any luck with CP but thought I’d see if that has changed in the last couple years.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Fingers for sure. The cast have held 1700+hp. Have not seen a failure with them except for build error.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
What's the general opinion of running a forged mahle piston on the street if you put less then 10k a year on the motor?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I’m building a lb7 sled pull engine this winter with a partial filled block and I’m having a hard time deciding between Mahle Forged, Fingers Mahle Forged, Ross pistons or CP. is Aries owned by CP now? Or are there any other brands I should look into? Diamond is a little rich for my blood. From my research no one has had any luck with CP but thought I’d see if that has changed in the last couple years.

My CP are holding up fine, 2 seasons of hard running (maxing out a 475/87 last year and now running a 480/96).

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
What's the general opinion of running a forged mahle piston on the street if you put less then 10k a year on the motor?

Heat cycles play a role also.

In my opinion fingers cast is plenty for 95% of the builds out there. They hold up longer then a stock/callies compstar crank can handle. Until you do a SoCal narrow journal and a lml block save your money.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Mahle forged or fingers forged.

i wouldnt run a forged on the street with how good fingers casts hold up. its not the mileage as much as it is the design of forged pistons that dont give the best roll for "DDing" or "street use". The mileage still has some part to play though.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Not impressed with their forged pistons. Buddy of mine cracked all 8 in under a couple hours in his boat running single S475. I confirmed it with mahle engineers.

IMO forged are best for short hi-power nitrous blasts, then allowed to cool naturally for an hour or two..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Pistons

The problem with Mahle forged pistons is that they are made from 4032. It has a high silicon content. They are hard and with heat brittle. They are still stronger than cast but not as good as 2618. If it a high power driver the Fingers cast seem to hold up as good as any in a driver. All out power run a 2618 material piston and never look back.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
Will they ever release the monotherm piston for the dmax? If they did would that be the best all out HP piston? Or maybe not due to the weight?

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Mahle won't, been there. I was working with Daimond on one, then JJ left, and so didn't their interest... It's mostly a weight issue, best we got down to was 200g over cast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk