Where to buy Tech 2?

elliottw

Jan 23, 2013
ND
Where are you guys getting your trusty cheaper tech 2s from? I see a lot of them on google searches for 2-300 dollars but that seems cheap even for the Chinese knock offs? Or have they gotten cheaper in recent years?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
My brother and I each bought one for $360 from eBay. My brother's worked perfect, but I had to go through 3 of them before I got one that worked right. (Seller covered all shipping, can't complain too much.)

Jury's still out on how long they will last, but you can get one for $300-ish that will work, at least for a while. I figure when mine craps out, I will just take it apart and fix it, but that's not something everyone can do.

wilsondiesel

Nov 11, 2015
Sedalia, MO
My brother and I each bought one for $360 from eBay. My brother's worked perfect, but I had to go through 3 of them before I got one that worked right. (Seller covered all shipping, can't complain too much.)

Jury's still out on how long they will last, but you can get one for $300-ish that will work, at least for a while. I figure when mine craps out, I will just take it apart and fix it, but that's not something everyone can do.

Mine doesn't power up at all when plugged into obd2 port, is there an internal fuse?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
The power supply could have failed, or the OBD port itself could be dead. Do other scan tools power off that OBD port, and does the Tech2 work off the AC adapter?

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The knock off tech 2's have a known issue with the power supply. It normally causes them to shut off during cranking, but they can completely fail. If you search, theres a page that gives info and pics on how to repair the common failures in them.

Jun 1, 2012
I bought a tech 2 knock off and 2 mdi versions... I prefer the mdi. New gm mdi2 versions are only 700-800 from gm with a warranty... just saying.. I do like the mdi.