Question: When will you sell the 47's for the DMAX Guys?

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
Mike,

I know you and Suncoast have been working on this for awhile, what is the status and the current design spec like? What does it provide? What are the current rumors? What's it gonna cost?

Which trans is proving to be the best to start with?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Mike,

I know you and Suncoast have been working on this for awhile, what is the status and the current design spec like? What does it provide? What are the current rumors? What's it gonna cost?

Which trans is proving to be the best to start with?

They are probably available now.

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
They are probably available now.

Ok? I would prefer not to purchase it from Alabama? (Suncoast headquarters?), but if that's what i gotta do, no problem. Who should i talk to?

What can Mike L provide me :) Which trans model is proven to be most adaptable/strongest at this point? How much? How long? What do we gain performance wise? What is being used as a controller? Still cable controlled? Last we talked about the 47 (re?) 8K was mentioned... this was early on, surely the price/guess has come down? HOw do you interace it with the TCM?

That's the equivelent of 2 Mike L 4's.

Thanks Mike

Last edited:

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Got something against Alabama:eek: Kidding. SC is in Fort Walton, Florida.

I am interested in details also.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I talked to Ron at SC friday and everything is ready to ship. I can handle the whole thing. I have not given up on the Alli yet. Casper is still doing fine running 10.50. How far can I take it? Good question. The race truck Guy and I are building will run the Alli.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Interested in more details about this. Is it a racing/competition only conversion or can it still be streetable and such??? What transfer case is used or can be used???

C-ya

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
the suncoast 47 kit is trick.drives like an angel on the street but smack it and it rips the gears like an ally never will....

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
the suncoast 47 kit is trick.drives like an angel on the street but smack it and it rips the gears like an ally never will....

Dunno. My Allison has never failed at a competition event. 47's can't make that claim. I've seen several fail at the track.

The Allison is a stronger trans, we just need to play to it's strengths.

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego

Spruill? Name is familiar. Can we open up some dialogue regarding this? Haven't you done this swap as well? Perhaps you have a 47? I am trying to "pluck" info regarding the 47/48 re/rh? Some are TPS controlled and others are cable only? I know enough about the Ally to be dangerous and i know zilch about the Dodge trans. I need simpler controls

Mike builds a great trans for sure and i have no complaints about his craftmanship.

My thinking is... i would rather "cut my own swath" versus waiting for limited info from Ally hierarchy, work around defuel, electronics, learning etc.

PM- me or maybe i may PM you so we can discuss this? Thanks.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
;)His truck runs one;) I heard thru the grapevine it has a 48re in it now, dunno though. I bet it will be just what you are looking for Max. Maybe give suncoast a call?? Ron is cool, he will tell it like it is.

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
the race truck does have a 47 in it.ask what you like and i will try to answer.if i donr know the answer i will point you in the right direction...Ron at suncoast is a good person to talk with,this has been his baby from the start...

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
Dunno. My Allison has never failed at a competition event. 47's can't make that claim. I've seen several fail at the track.

The Allison is a stronger trans, we just need to play to it's strengths.
we were able to getthe ally to hold 10.5s as well,but when we added more hp it didnt care for it.anything can happen but i dont think an ally will ever see low 10s much less 9s in a full weight truck.and yes 47s can make the claim that they have never ton up in a Dmax at the track;)

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
we were able to getthe ally to hold 10.5s as well,but when we added more hp it didnt care for it.anything can happen but i dont think an ally will ever see low 10s much less 9s in a full weight truck.and yes 47s can make the claim that they have never ton up in a Dmax at the track;)

So i am talking to the right guy, perfect. You have a DMAX with a 47 and you are sub 10 50's. You are where nobody else is... congrats to you on that.

I would prefer to ask a few questions of you, if you don't mind, before I call Ron and ask the rookie questions. Please forgive my ignorance.

What is the difference between a 47 or a 48 and/or the re and rh? Is it true that the 47 is a cable trans and has no TPS to derive shift timing from? In other words, capable of a manual VB?

If you had to do it again would you choose another Dodge trans?

Are you currently using the 47 and 4x4?

Perhaps you can't/won't answer this publicly (i understand), but if you are running sub 10's than this trans is seeing in excess of 1300 HP, how long does it live between fresh's?

What did you do with your TCM and the language between the TCM and the ECM?

If you would prefer to speak in person i have PM'd you my Cell.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
Jess,

I got all the questions answered, thanks anyway.

I guess what it all boils down to is was it worth it?

The 48, although expensive initially, is cheaper to refresh and rebuild, parts have been around since the 60's, more people building billet parts, faster, lighter, data logging capable with Ron's kit etc etc

What have you seen? Sell me on the benefits you have realized, please.

BTW- I left you a PM with my number if that's more conveniente.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA

The Alli will see 9's with no problem. I'm just not sure if it will be the trans of choice when we run 8's.