wheel width and offset

Teamvi

Oct 26, 2011
looking at going with a 20 or 18 inch rim with a 10 or 9 wide but unsure on what offset I can get away with. Truck is a 2005 gmc crew cab. torsion bars have been turned up a little bit to make the truck more leveled and still ride good.
Thanks
Also looking at getting wheels off amazon

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
www.wheel-size.com

Ive found that their wheel calculator is very good. Granted, its meant for cars, but it can help you figure out how a different offset/width will work.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
It really depends on what size tire you want to run. The more positive offset you can run, the bigger tire you can clear or the less you will have to trim. If you want "stance", you will have to run a very small tire or cut a lot of bumper and fender. I run a 20x9 with a 0 offset and have very minor rubbing on my slightly decranked LBZ with 32" tires.

wilrob

Back in the Motherland
Sep 14, 2016
Dallas, TX
It really depends on what size tire you want to run. The more positive offset you can run, the bigger tire you can clear or the less you will have to trim. If you want "stance", you will have to run a very small tire or cut a lot of bumper and fender. I run a 20x9 with a 0 offset and have very minor rubbing on my slightly decranked LBZ with 32" tires.

Josh did you trim anything at all? I am surprised you rub at all with that wheel/tire combo...

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
Josh I may be running a 32” Tire myself but on a 16 x10 wheel with -25 offset which is 4 1/2” backspace but I’m concerned about it rubbing the back side of the wheel well opening . I have run a 32 1/2 “ Tire but it was on some 22 x 9s with 5 3/4” backspacing and they rubbed on the back side of the wheel well opening when I turned. I’ve been told that the further the wheel sticks out the more susceptible it is to hit or rub at the back of the wheel well opening. The front valance can be trimmed. Do you think 32” will clear with the 16 x 10s and 4 1/2” backspacing ?