What’s in your tool box?

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
This thread is inspired by my recent mishap in New Mexico when I lost a high pressure line and got stranded for 24hrs.

Luckily I had packed the right tools with me to get the job done this time, but I’ve had to purchase a few cheap-o tool kits on past trips because I didn’t bring tools with me.

All this has made me reconsider getting a proper tool chest in the bed and keeping it permanently stocked.

So, what do you guys carry tool wise and spare part wise on your trucks? Looking for some ideas and reminders on some must haves. How do you store your stuff? I’m thinking of getting some of those fabric roll up packs, or maybe just sticking to throwing everything in a regular dewalt bag.

This is my start based off stuff I’ve carried/needed in the past
- Metric socket set & basic screw drivers/pliers
- Crows foot/line wrenches
- box wrenches
- crescent wrench
- pry bar
- deep lug socket
- misc fuel and vacuum hose & hose clamps
- fluids, ps/brake, brake cleaner, wd40, electrical cleaner, scotch bright pads, rags
- tow strap/ratchet straps
- chains
- bottle jack
- recovery boards
- tire repair kit

spare parts I’m considering carrying now on
- belt
- idler pulley
- keeping at least 4 high pressure lines after I replace them all
- considering a spare FICM and ECM
- fuel filters

For longer trips I’ll probably throw the impact driver & impact gun in there too.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Moved to Tool Crib.

Just the normal wrenches and such. If I need something else on the road, well....I deal with it if it comes.

diesel-max

Haisley Never heard of her
Oct 20, 2011
IN
Generally my iPhone in the center counsel does the trick. I’m not working that hard on the side of the road or if I need to I’m calling someone anyway to pick me/bring me tools and parts if absolutely have to. But I prefer a trailer or tow lol

However, I have a freaking ton of fire rescue/police work gear jammed in each vehicle 🤦‍♂️

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
Generally my iPhone in the center counsel does the trick. I’m not working that hard on the side of the road or if I need to I’m calling someone anyway to pick me/bring me tools and parts if absolutely have to. But I prefer a trailer or tow lol

However, I have a freaking ton of fire rescue/police work gear jammed in each vehicle 🤦‍♂️

this is where I’m at with it also.

rmallen30

Aug 12, 2009
hillsboro ohio
full tool kit up to 1 1/8 “size of lugs on my trailer.
battery box , spare battery for winch, chains, shop towels, lots of ratchet straps, air compressor, Tire repair kit, 1st aid kit, oil, fuel treatment, fuel filter for truck , def, bottle jack, boards, grease gun, Hand cleaner, rain gear, spare clothes, 80 gallon transfer tank, that’s a list of what stays in the truck. My auto trailers have toolboxes on them as well that hold all the straps. Always at least one spare for the trailer I’m pulling, spare bearing kit for each of the trailers stay with the trailers as well.
here’s a pic of the truck box in the 450.

Attachments

• 4F2574A4-03A2-4461-8FE3-305813EBAA05.jpeg
    4F2574A4-03A2-4461-8FE3-305813EBAA05.jpeg
    324.8 KB · Views: 33

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The old truck, I kept:

15 ton bottle jack
Spare tire rod end (outer)
Good used wheel bearing
Upper ball joint
Spare fluids (trans, coolant, oil)
Ratchet straps
Zip ties
2 spare belts (one stock and one for the dual fueler so if I lost the second pump, I could route around it)
One of those plastic tool kits that had sockets, wrenches, Allen’s, etc
Small husky metal tool box with 3/4” and up wrenches, 36mm socket for wheel hubs, test light, gorilla tape, jb weld, tie wire, wiring, crimps, cutters and I’m sure some other stuff I’m forgetting.

Always keep my efi live and mdi2 in the truck with a computer as well.

Between all of that, I could pretty much fix the typical stuff that worried me on the truck. Was able to change a wheel hub in vail, co when mine let go (just needed a tow into napa to get the part), let me bandaid an intercooler boot when one blew to get the the fam and trailer up north, fix tie rod ends when I would go wheeling in college, put the upper arm back into a blown out ball joint with a ratchet strap, and so on.

Hell I got a thread on here about using a gas fuel pump from my tracker to supply fuel to my buddies cummins cp3 to get us home from silverton last year (his assortment of wiring made me get a bunch as I had none)

The new truck.... well it has a warranty lol. I need to pack something for it. I don’t want a tool box in the bed of this one like the old truck so I’m going to get that under seat storage deal for the back seats and load it with some tools and parts. Just not sure what yet

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
150pc tool set
Test light
That’s it for mechanic tools. A bunch of other junk for whatever else comes up. Like I carry an axe, because while taking back roads in CO I came across a tree that a fallen across the road. Either cut it up or turnaround.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Wow, that's a wide variety of answers.

I'm definitely not doomsday prepper status, but I feel more comfortable being prepared. Especially as I start to take this truck to more and more remote places or off the beaten path.

@rmallen30 how do you like that fuel/tool combo box? Are you using it only for equipment fueling or do you have it hooked up to the truck as well? I'd like to go with a fuel/tool combo box to extend range on the truck, but I'm not sure if the 6cf or so of space in the smaller box will work out.

rmallen30

Aug 12, 2009
hillsboro ohio
@rmallen30 how do you like that fuel/tool combo box? Are you using it only for equipment fueling or do you have it hooked up to the truck as well? I'd like to go with a fuel/tool combo box to extend range on the truck, but I'm not sure if the 6cf or so of space in the smaller box will work out.
[/QUOTE]

I love it , keeps me from having to pay expensive turnpike and highway fuel prices , on the 450 it’s not plumbed into the truck. The neck is metal on the top and I didn’t want to permanently modify it as I don’t keep the trucks long. The 19 3500 high country it is plumbed into the filler neck.

Attachments

• 6A4D7961-5EE7-4D8B-90B2-10CE96E1616C.jpeg
    6A4D7961-5EE7-4D8B-90B2-10CE96E1616C.jpeg
    385.3 KB · Views: 23

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
I have the husky (the nice stuff stays at home) 300 piece mechanic set that you can get for 100 around any holiday from the home depot along with straps, a chain, tow strap, and miscellaneous items such as a flashlight...but also good insurance just in case! I don't carry a spare serp belt or anything like that unless I am working out of state or large trips like that for work.