What would you rather use?

Dmax Grizzly

Always Learning
Dec 26, 2007
Monroeville,Ohio
I am trying to figure out what is better to use for strengthening the front end. An Aftermarket centerlink or the Idler/pitman braces. I am planning on having a daily driver that I'll also tow and sledpull along with occasionally dragrace. I am gettng EFI Live soon and want to get the front end strengthening done soon. I want to eventually have around 550-615 RWHP. I know I'll need a tranny soon and plan on getting it done next winter hopefully. I've read that the turning radius is usually shortened from the straight centerlink and also excessive tire wear. I don't really want that. I do want it to stay together though. I need to replace the idler/pitman arm also and the tie rods too. I have a set of sleeves and have not installed them yet until I get the new tie rods on. Is there anything that is out there that will hold the strength and not shorten the turning radius/tire wear. Thank you, Adam

Last edited:

2500HeavyDuty

Book 'em, Danno!
Feb 14, 2008
Katy, Tx
www.myspace.com
i have a PPE link, turning radius is made bigger ive noticed that, but i can still swing my truck into spots pretty easily.

at full lock while turning i caught a glance of my tires and wow those tires tilt like crazy. maybe its just my cranked up bars. but i can definitely see why it wears the sides faster.

If you keep your cv's straight you shouldn't have a problem with the link.

ive heard of people who still run the stock link and they just strap it down when they pull, but thats more work. And there are also people on the site who have modified stock centerlinks. maybe they can chime in.

but so far i like my straight link.

Dmax Grizzly

Always Learning
Dec 26, 2007
Monroeville,Ohio
The tires that came on my truck are the best set of tires I've owned I'd say. I'd like them to last since they came on it when I bought it and they were pretty much brand new.

2500HeavyDuty

Book 'em, Danno!
Feb 14, 2008
Katy, Tx
www.myspace.com
i got BFG 285/75/r16 A/T K/O load range E on my truck right now

haven't noticed any wear on the sides though, only times i have to make sharp turn is in the parking lot. and i only do that once a day

NWTDIESEL

On a Time Out
May 8, 2008
ATS Extreme trans
Well, if you want huge power kiss your tires goodbye!:D I go thru 3 sets a year but i dont try to save em. I did the cognitos first with the sleeves and i still got tire squeel in 4hi most of the way down the track. With the Cognitos and the ATS sleeves i was still not able to do a real hard launch. I now have the centerlink and i love it! I get 1.7x 60ft all day long with my HUGE 22''s spinning and fightn to get traction. My truck is a daily driver and i have noticed some tire wear but i would rather have tire wear than weak idler/pitman arms, broken parts..... strapping your stock centerlink down is a pain in the butt and it still moves. I can still get it in to all the same parking spots just might take a 2 point turn instead of a simple full turn (which i never liked to max my steering wheel out anyway).

If you want hard boost launches, good E.T.s, good 60' and do it with no worries go with the straight Centerlink.

Dmax Grizzly

Always Learning
Dec 26, 2007
Monroeville,Ohio
Is this turning radius compared more to a limo than our regular radius. It'd get annoying having to not make a simple turn alot and have to back up all the time. I guess you have to sacrifice some things if that is the only way.

NWTDIESEL

On a Time Out
May 8, 2008
ATS Extreme trans
Yea, you CAN turn just as sharp as before but since Aikerman angle is gone the tires push/pull when turning sharp. IMO cognitos are a waste of time IF you want more than 450rwhp. Anything over that the wheels will still pull inward. Your rite tho, sum times you just have to sacrafice a lil.

Dmax Grizzly

Always Learning
Dec 26, 2007
Monroeville,Ohio
So should I truly get an aftermarket centerlink instead of the braces with what I plan on doing with the truck. How fast does it wear out a set of tires. My tires are almost brand new and I plan on having this set as the winter set as soon as I get the summer wheels and tires I want. The summer wheels will be 18" and whatever size tire that is around a 32.5 and will fit a 10" wide rim. What is the best centerlink to get. Thank's for the info cause I was planning on starting my project of making the braces this week. If the centerlink is definitely the way to go for our front ends please confirm it for me. Adam

NWTDIESEL

On a Time Out
May 8, 2008
ATS Extreme trans
Its confirmed. Lots of guys use the Super Diesel centerlink which is the same centerlink PPE sales. I have a new Crank it up diesel centerlink because they are chromoly and supposed to be stronger. Just what i was told/heard and sounded good to me for the price. I can get you one cheap if youd like.

Dmax Grizzly

Always Learning
Dec 26, 2007
Monroeville,Ohio
Its confirmed. Lots of guys use the Super Diesel centerlink which is the same centerlink PPE sales. I have a new Crank it up diesel centerlink because they are chromoly and supposed to be stronger. Just what i was told/heard and sounded good to me for the price. I can get you one cheap if youd like.

How have your tires held up. I noticed you have both. Did you have the braces before and just left them on. Someone convince me I won't have to replace tires twice as much as normal and doing this won't wear out other things quicker also. I'll do it if it's o.k, Adam

2500HeavyDuty

Book 'em, Danno!
Feb 14, 2008
Katy, Tx
www.myspace.com
i got braces and the link on my truck also.

haven't noticed any wear. still got the rubber things that stick out the tires when there brand new and ive had mine for a month now.

I used to run my tired at 80 psi before i got the link, but right now theyre at 65. ima see how this turns out

NWTDIESEL

On a Time Out
May 8, 2008
ATS Extreme trans
What else do you want to know? Its a straight forward install, With the braces the centerlink still swings which can still wear out your idler and pitman, Centerlink does were out your tires(how much depends on you), braces only good to 450-500rwhp, Centerlink produces better times at the track and can take the launch.....

Yes i have both. I bought the braces first and after hearing my tires scream down the road in 4hi i knew they werent enough so i purchased the centerlink. Now i have straight launches and no jump, hop, pull....

Dmax Grizzly

Always Learning
Dec 26, 2007
Monroeville,Ohio
I don't understand it. I'd get it if i could know if after adding it the front would still last as long as before. Would the arms last as long as with the braces added? How long has anyone that has the aftermarket centerlink had a set of tires last. What else does it put stress on by adding it. I'm going to replace both arms and tie rod ends soon and would like to be convinced which one is better so I could install the one thing at the same time as the others. I talked to a certain guy named Tony B and he said he just has braces and a factory centerlink at his power level. He said he's had no problems. If my tires and other parts will last just as long with the factory one I'll get it. Thank you, Adam

2500HeavyDuty

Book 'em, Danno!
Feb 14, 2008
Katy, Tx
www.myspace.com
Cognito recommends that you replace the arms when installing the braces, but the braces work good enough that you don't have to replace them is they arent as bad. But if you do don't get moog pitman arm.

I replaced me tie rods with the cog OEM style also looks good and feels solid.

I believe Tony modded his centerlink with a bracket or something, but only he would know, he must certainly strap it down when he pulls though