What to build

Chevmeister

Big Dooley
Dec 3, 2010
Garnet Valley, Pa
I'm looking at building a new desktop computer. My last one was a quad core amd. I want something with more power. It will fold 24/7 and be my primary computer for cutting and printing vinyl signs, as well as running my laser engraver. I will be running photoshop, corel draw, and a few other programs similar to that.
Shoot me some ideas. I want the biggest bang for the buck. Cost is a small factor. I will know for sure If we are buying a new vinyl cutter in two weeks so what's new today will be yesterday's trash by then. If you could build it, what would you build, keep it around 1000-1200, I have a sata harddrive, and a sata DVD burner I might be able to use. I'm going to try to raise the dead machine, but if it's toast I'm gonna steal parts out of it.

Chevmeister

Big Dooley
Dec 3, 2010
Garnet Valley, Pa
Ok after the second machine died I went to microcenter.
Antec case
Asus Mobo
Core i7 2600 3.4
16gb ram
Sata 6.0 250gb hd
Asus 1gb graphics card Gt 430

What can I expect to fold with this thing, and how should I configure it?

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
You could try using the new V7 client. I just loaded it last night. Still tinkering with it to to see if I have it configured right or not. With an i7 you should have no problems running the SMP client. And the GT430 will run a GPU client no problem at the same time the CPU is running the SMP client.

C.C.Reed

May 1, 2008
Is it going to be running 24/7? If so, you will get more PPD running that processor with -smp 8 and -bigadv flags. I wouldn't run a GPU client as it will slow down the the SMP client.

Do you have a passkey? Have you folded more than 10 SMP WUs?

Chevmeister

Big Dooley
Dec 3, 2010
Garnet Valley, Pa
Yeah I started it this morning and it's up and running fine. I'm gonna give it a few days then throw a smp client on it.
C C are you saying I can tell it it has 8 cores and run this thing as bigadv? I'm not new to smp, I have been running smp since Christmas. I hope to be folding with 4 machines again soon.
As a side note HP computers suck. 3 died in the last 2 months all of them are less than 2 years old.

C.C.Reed

May 1, 2008
The 2600 and 2600k are both 4 core w/ hyper-threading which means the client will see 8 cores making it -bigadv compatible.

Overclocked, it should be able to get 30-45k PPD just running -bigadv. If you have the 2600 though, overclocking isn't really an easy option. The 2600k has an unlocked multiplier which makes it really easy.

Last edited:

Chevmeister

Big Dooley
Dec 3, 2010
Garnet Valley, Pa
I tried to load it just now. I keep getting fah.exe is not a valid win32 application. Running CMD as administrator, and trying fah -smp -configonly.
What did I F up? It is windows7 pro, all my past attempts were vista machines.
It is not a 2600k.

Chevmeister

Big Dooley
Dec 3, 2010
Garnet Valley, Pa
The one still running is the last of my working phenom x4s. Haven't delt with the i7 yet, trying to get some other machines running so I can be back to work. Once I get everything running I'll load f@h on them all again.

Chevmeister

Big Dooley
Dec 3, 2010
Garnet Valley, Pa
Ok I just started the i7, let's see where it goes. ASUS monitor reports all cores running around 4-4.1ghz. Damn thing is pulling over a gig of ram just to fold with. I need to get a bigger heatsink, temps are way higher than I want to see. What's the highest I should expect to see with this CPU.

Chevmeister

Big Dooley
Dec 3, 2010
Garnet Valley, Pa
Hot, I'm researching heatsinks now. Looking at going with a big zerotherm zt10. I'm going to reseat tonight and see if it helps but it dances in the 90'sC in a house that's about 78F. I read it shuts down near 100C, so I gotta do something fast.
I'm thinking I want one of these on my desk too......

Chevmeister

Big Dooley
Dec 3, 2010
Garnet Valley, Pa
I spread the crap that intel calls thermal compound and put it back together.
CPU 82C
Case 33C
Beats the 96C I had when I shut it down.
The intel paste was stopping the sink from making good contact. It's still not right I'm sure. I took a bunch of their crap out, it's almost like clay.
I need to replace their crap with some good stuff. What should I do, someone here has to know. New sink with better grease, or keep the intel crap and better grease??

jheyob

Jan 30, 2009
Okeana OH/West Lafayette IN
I'm running the cooler master n520, it keeps my 2500k at 65 @/4.7ghz w/~1.37 volts with the room at 65f.

I put the sd1283 on my roomates 2500k with another fan for a push pull setup and it seems to work a bit better. I would go this route if I were you. It's a nice cooler but barely fits in his mid case.

Try to stay below 70. What kind of voltage are you running?

Chevmeister

Big Dooley
Dec 3, 2010
Garnet Valley, Pa
To be honest I have no clue what it's running, I didn't overclock it. The motherboard is asus and it did it all on it's own. I just clicked I wanted performance and it rebooted 4-5 times then said done at 4.01ghz. I wasn't looking to overclock or I would have went with the K. I never overclocked a computer so I'm not sure what any of it means.