Question: What is Weight Difference in a 2 WD versus a 4 WD RC LB

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
Does anyone know what the weight difference is in an LBZ Duramax 2 Wheel Drive versus a 4 Wheel Drive Single Cab Long Bed ? Is it fair to say that the 2 Wheel drive is about 300 to 400# lighter without the transfer case, drive shaft, front drive axles and the IFS unit or is it more ? What would have to be done to convert a 4 x 4 to 2 wheel drive and have the weight savings? I'm guessing remove the transfer case, drive shaft going forward, front drive axles, IFS unit, change out the tail shaft housing as well as change the length of the rear drive shaft. Does the output shaft have to be changed as well ?

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Unless you plan on doing extensive work to the rear suspension you’ll never make it worth your while for the weight savings. You’ll just end up fighting traction issues not no matter what tire you put under it. And yes the output shaft is different.

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
Extensive as in ? I already have coil overs and 36” ladder bars adjustable coil overs in front . Thought was to put a 14” thread width drag radial in the rear . Evan do you know what the difference is ?

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Extensive as in ? I already have coil overs and 36” ladder bars adjustable coil overs in front . Thought was to put a 14” thread width drag radial in the rear . Evan do you know what the difference is ?

As in a well done and setup 4 link. You’ll never hook that good at your power level without one being 2wd the tire doesn’t matter if you can’t adjust the chassis to get it to hook.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I have never weighed all the parts individually, but I would say 300 lbs is a pretty good guess. As someone who has raced both 2wd and 4wd, I will say there is no way I would willingly go from 4wd to 2wd in a street type vehicle. It would take some serious chassis/suspension work to make it run as well as it does as a 4wd, and if you spend enough time with it, you might actually make it run a little bit better if you can get the chassis set up just right.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
I can personally tell you not to do it! I love my truck and wouldn't have it any other way as it is a blast to drive but I look like a tard running 10.24@140mph. Without backhalfing it and 4 link and serious chassis work it doesn't work good at all!:hug: