What is the number 1 thing you have done to make your truck tow better?

BrandonLLY

Apr 23, 2014
Since you’re asking for the number one most important: Brake controller. Can’t tow without one. There are a ton of items that I’ve done to my truck to help tow better, but if you can’t stop, you might die or kill someone. Second would be a pyrometer. The list goes on and on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
1. Tuning
2. 4.30 gearing
Sorry I couldn’t stop at 1. It was hard to stop at 2.
I'd put my 4.56 gears on the list too. Maybe right after the transmission build. It's crazy how much stronger it pulls with the right gearing. Sure the RPMs are a little higher than stock but nothing crazy. Sort of like running in 5th instead of 6th. But 1st will now be like 0.5. especially important if you run larger tires and still want to tow heavy

Reactions: CDmax16

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Pretty loaded questions especially considering how vastly different an 2001 is compared to an 2023. Need more context, but overall I'd say tuning.

MaxComp88B

Mar 30, 2022
Thanks guys! Hope to see more people add to thread. Just thought it was a fun idea to see what people say. See if there is anything my truck doesn’t have that people mention. So far it seems a quality tune seems to be the best!!

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
Buy a new truck 😂! I am obviously joking, but it’s amazing how much better the new chassis’s tow.

For me, air bags are pretty important. These trucks squat so bad that without them, at night, I can barely see the road and I would get flashed by almost everybody.

Reactions: wydopenLb7

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Buy a new truck 😂! I am obviously joking, but it’s amazing how much better the new chassis’s tow.

For me, air bags are pretty important. These trucks squat so bad that without them, at night, I can barely see the road and I would get flashed by almost everybody.
I upgraded my leaf packs. So now my hitch will probably bend to the ground before the headlights raise an inch 😁. And no air to worry about

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course

You're absolutely right on the newer chassies. I had a new gasser and it almost felt as good towing as my old LBZ. Ya the power wasn't there, but it still towed really well.

Really? I think they are way better then Dodge and Ford on squat. This is my 06 with 1500lbs of tongue weight and a load of fire wood in the bed. I've never felt the need for airbags unless I was towing this every day the the springs got soft.

Attachments

• 123_1(1) (2).jpeg
    123_1(1) (2).jpeg
    492 KB · Views: 28

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
One thing that really gave me peace of mind is putting a new hitch on my 06. I know a lot of people had issues with them, but mine really didn't start getting bad until I pulled that big bumper pull.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Tune, twin turbo, gears if bigger tires. And one not mentioned I don’t think is ‘06+ tow mirrors on previous year models.

Reactions: countrycorey