What is safe RPM to turn

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
I setup my tune to limit fueling at 4000... I only rev it that high in 4th gear to help out the trans. I have had it just over 4000 a few times... IMO that's a good place to quit with a stock motor... hopefully I'm not wrong :angel:

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
The factory red-line isn't 4800 I haven't had a factory dash in mine for a long time but 4800? Really?

I do know that I read some where that the factory Allison isn't suppose to be spun 5000 rpm or above or it can grenade. Not taking in to play here the aftermarket items available today that might make that statement obsolete but I do know that the Allison stock fresh has a RPM limitation and I do believe it is 5k.

So how or would GM allow it to spin that close to grenading? :confused:

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
Has anyone read it where GM or the engine plant really tells where they test these engines on the long run time dyno tests? They sure abuse the ones that are used for that test mule power line. I've always wondered on max and what time is done for on Duramax after seeing some clip on the GM performance test site with new 454LSX mill.

GeorgiaDieselGTO

Wants to drive his truck
May 12, 2010
Crossville
We have spun many stock turck to 4500 or better and i spin my built motor to 5. With that being said i believe that was a contributing factor to my crank breaking spinning that high. In the end its up to you if you want to take the risk. And yes without the right injectors and turbos they dont make power up there anyway

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
The biggest problem for damages seem to be push rods that beand when the valve guide clearances tighten up and pinch the valve. Secondly, you don't have enough air to benefit from turning one that hard. Even with bigger turbos it would be hard to benefit from turning over the 4500 range. A 66 mm turbo doesn't benefit from running past the 3600 range.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
The biggest problem for damages seem to be push rods that beand when the valve guide clearances tighten up and pinch the valve. Secondly, you don't have enough air to benefit from turning one that hard. Even with bigger turbos it would be hard to benefit from turning over the 4500 range. A 66 mm turbo doesn't benefit from running past the 3600 range.

My turbos don't even like it I would say 4300 max for me jmo

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
^^ That's what I am saying. The factory redline is ~4800 RPM. True, it is for grade braking, but it is the redline nonetheless.

I personally disagree with the thought that it is easier on the engine to spin it up via grade braking than under under power. Why? Because the engine is designed to have high pressures on the top of the piston to help slow it down and turn it around. There are much higher pressures when under power than when grade braking. Now too much pressure can cause problems, at any RPM. But I'm talking about reasonable cylinder pressures.

It is all sort of a moot point for a stock engine, as fuel and air run out well below 4800 RPM (I loose a significant amount of airflow by 3400 RPM according to my logs). However, as long as you keep the timing and PW reasonable, I can't imagine damaging the engine from spinning it to 4800 RPM. But if you aren't comfortable doing it... don't do it!

I could be 100% wrong on all these points, though. And thanks to everyone who posted their results above 4000 RPM. Good to know!

jon5212

Oct 13, 2010
I've spun mine to probably 4200 at the very maximum. If i'm beating on it I shift at 4K RPM in all gears (ZF6).

dr.p/02cc

apprentice deisel rodder
Oct 7, 2010
Alberta Canada
Maybe I'm just thinking outload, but I've run stock BBC hydraulic valvetrain parts to 6500, with only upgraded springs for the increased cam lift. No issues with that, and that was 1972 technology. The roller cam here would defiantly need better parts than what I was spinning then, but I am just thinking outload.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
DAVe3283;399506 The factory redline is ~4800 RPM. True said:
So why under power is the redline 3250 but under grade braking it is 4800? Might be easier on the motor like I was saying earlier?