What can they handle??

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
This is all at the tire.

Running big pulse width increases cyl pressure but also adds a ton of undue heat to the piston and makes it very hard to cool back down before the next cycle. Just like heating a piece of steel up over and over, it becomes brittle in the weak areas.

So if you have already started to hurt the pistons, adding bigger injectors to bring pulse width down won’t really save you because we don’t know how far gone the pistons are.

None of this is “the Bible” because you will have those that challenge the norm.

I’ve wanted to take a stock lb7 bottom end, throw some high flowing heads on, nice cam, big single, big injectors in and spin the thing to 5500rpm to see what kind of power it could make and what it could take. That would be low torque but high hp. Drop it in a light car or truck and it would be fun. Hell I’d even mod some thing to just put l5p heads on it to keep cost lower assuming heavy valve springs from older years works. This obviously with all the extra money I have laying around

I know it could break with less, or be a freak of nature. I had heard about the cylinder pressure being an issue, didn't think of the heat cycling

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
The tunes are locked, so I cant look at them.

I got his tuning, drove it for a couple of days, asked for more on the Max Effort tune, so I'm not sure exactly what it is, but i want to say I logged it at some point, and saw 3200 or 3250? I could be mistaken.

I would like to not bend the rods, but if it happens, it is what it is, from what ive read the LLY doesnt have the piston cracking issues the LBZ's seem to, just the short rod syndrome

I have also been thinking of seeing about raising the max rpm, as sometimes i hit the rev limiter before it will shift, not sure if thats a good or bad thing for the motor, it stops at 3500rpm now, or maybe i need to have my tcm tune adjusted

Hard to tell how he has it set up. Could be different being as I had him tune mine in person then ran it on the dyno. Hell I think my limiter is 4400.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I don’t think he ever got it down the track. Wanted to see what that sucker would hold up to. Iirc he swapped the built motor in not long after the dyno pulls to continue turbo testing without fear

He might have, I just remembered him pulling the built motor out and bolting it up on the engine dyno

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

I got his tuning, drove it for a couple of days, asked for more on the Max Effort tune, so I'm not sure exactly what it is, but i want to say I logged it at some point, and saw 3200 or 3250? I could be mistaken.

I would like to not bend the rods, but if it happens, it is what it is, from what ive read the LLY doesnt have the piston cracking issues the LBZ's seem to, just the short rod syndrome

I have also been thinking of seeing about raising the max rpm, as sometimes i hit the rev limiter before it will shift, not sure if thats a good or bad thing for the motor, it stops at 3500rpm now, or maybe i need to have my tcm tune adjusted

If you are still on the stock turbo, i wouldnt worry about the rods. it doesnt move enough air in the lower rpms to get the torque high enough to bend things.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin

I ran my truck on the stock long block (with studs) with a 68 Stage 2r 4094, 60% overs, 10mm pump, S&B intake and elbow, WCFab 3" y-bridge and piping, MBRP 3" downpipe, built trans with Suncoast 1058.

It did 671hp/1186tq for a year and a half at 2400us/28deg timing. One full hard summer of sled pulling with the limiter set to 5000rpm and it bent 7 rods at the end of the year. Thought I had issues with injectors due to balance rates so I sent them back to exergy under warranty and did a compression test which resulted in an engine build.