Welding up Pump rub hole on transfercase???

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Well it looks like I got bite from being lazy. I figured that the pump rub fix was done when the trans was rebuilt, and now I have a leaking rear case. Has anyone tried to repair the cases by Tig weld it? I understand that the case is Magnesium, which I have never welded before, but for 25 bucks worth of filler rod, I would be willing to give it a shot. Anyone try this before and am I crazy for trying?

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
Buddie of mine had his JB welded, it lasted a few more thousand miles but had already been low on fluid for too long and he still ended up losing it.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
I agree.. get what you can out of it, it may last 5 more years. Then just re-build or re-place it.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I have a spare transfer case so I ordered pump run kit to put in that and will swap it out since I would rather fix it before complete failure. Just hoping to repair the old transfer case to have as a back up.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
If you do try and weld it, make sure you tent it and fill it completely with an inert gas. Magnesium loves to go up in 5k degree flames when heated enough in the presence of oxygen. Your tig torch will only protect one side if it does at all.

I would be very careful.

Also, magnesium being more porous will have more oil contamination that will be difficult to remove before welding. I've also heard of people epoxying up the damage with great success

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Find an old VW performance mechanic and ask him about welding cases back together or the jugs.... they will tell you about the bight lights that lit up the shop the first time they welded one too hot . Back in the 80s and 90s, guys use to burn the blocks in glamis or gordons wells at the main hills so people could race the hill at night. One block would light up half the hill for about 2 hours

I would not weld it. I had a dab of silicone on mine for a long while before I finally put a rear cover on.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Well I got the pump rub kit in the mail today and pulled apart the tranfer case this evening and found a hole under the anti rattle clip. It did wear into the case in a couple of other spots, but not horrible so I am going to try to JB weld the case and install the pump rub kit. If that doesn't work out who's case do it replace it with? I see a fair few options from expensive to cheap, which ones do i steer towards or from?

Attachments

• IMG_20200527_211750763.jpg
    IMG_20200527_211750763.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20200527_211601407.jpg
    IMG_20200527_211601407.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 35

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
JB Weld PROBABLY won't cut it... I tried that initially and it didn't work for squat. Ended up having the case welded by a metal fabrication shop. Stayed dry for quite a while, but seems its started seeping again. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Well I got the pump rub kit in the mail today and pulled apart the tranfer case this evening and found a hole under the anti rattle clip. It did wear into the case in a couple of other spots, but not horrible so I am going to try to JB weld the case and install the pump rub kit. If that doesn't work out who's case do it replace it with? I see a fair few options from expensive to cheap, which ones do i steer towards or from?
DHD $285 free shipping ,great quick svc .

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin

Personally my shop has installed Merchant Automotive cases as well as reman cases from Kodiak Truck here in Wisconsin. Both have worked well and have never given us a failure, granted most of our customers choose to source their own cases either used or from some no-name shop. I've replaced 2 supposedly "built/rebuilt" cases in one customer's truck that have come apart on him internally from bad build quality.

hntngkd

Jun 24, 2013
Attica, Mi
I welded one up last year, it welds very similar to aluminum but you have to clean it after every pass. Truck hasnt had an issue with it yet.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Just to update everyone, I chickened out of fixing the case or JB welding it since I only wanted to do it ones. I ended up going with a motive gear rear case because I could get it by last friday. It seems to to be an aluminium remake of the factory case and I installed the MA pump rub kit. Only issue I have had is that the Clip seems to have half popped off the bearing and occasionally (every 3-5 minutes when under throttle) causes a grinding for a second. My guess it that it is causing the gears to come out of mesh. Between us having a curfew at the moment and being very busy at work, I haven't devoted the 30 minutes to wrap it.