Waterpumps

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
I see you have an LB7/LLY water pump listed with tigged impeller, but none for the LBZ. Do you not have one or am I just missing it (I see you have an electric setup for the LBZ but I'm looking for mechanical).

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I don't know who this was to. But I'm pretty sure lbz trucks have plastic impellers. So u have to buy a lly lb7 pump. Pretty sure there a direct swap

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Yup, late model LLY's and the LBZ and later had plastic impellers and i believe a smaller dia shaft...

The "pump" is just the center section, the housing and pump are two seperate parts and the "pump" is interchangeable, you swap it out

As mentioned, pinned is preferrable, and Danville is the place to get them, typically theyre in stock and will ship immediately.

The welded pump isnt "bad" per-say, but if theres a choice id choose the pinned

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I tried to pin my water pump myself this afternoon. The shaft is so hard, I couldn't find a drill bit that would get the job done.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I tried to pin my water pump myself this afternoon. The shaft is so hard, I couldn't find a drill bit that would get the job done.

Not what I wanted to hear, I was going to try that too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Not what I wanted to hear, I was going to try that too..

I milled a nice flat spot on the impeller for the drill bit and of course the cast iron impeller drills like butter. The bit ended up walking all over the shaft and just went all skiwampass making a mess of the flat spot. If i had a carbide end mill the proper diameter it probably would have worked just fine.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I milled a nice flat spot on the impeller for the drill bit and of course the cast iron impeller drills like butter. The bit ended up walking all over the shaft and just went all skiwampass making a mess of the flat spot. If i had a carbide end mill the proper diameter it probably would have worked just fine.

Guess I'll just spend the extra $ and order one from Danville.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Guess I'll just spend the extra $ and order one from Danville.

I have been very impressed with my $60 autozone water pump i put in 3 years ago. I put 4 small tack welds on the impeller and after 3 years of high revving/racing non of the little tacks had even showed signs of stress. Pretty sure I'm going with another $60 autozone pump:D

I don't feel confident using my old pump since the mess the drill bit made.