Water/Methanol ---Pre or Post Intercooler

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
Thinking of doing a Water/Methanol injection on my truck . Wondered if it is safe to inject it Pre Intercooler or will it puddle up in the Intercooler . Reason for wanting to do it pre Intercooler is that my high pressure boost pipe leaving my valley turbo gets hot enough to blister the powder coating on the boost pipe . Talking to Mark at Danville , he says that it's normal on a triple setup to see temps in the range of 650 . I have an NOS system on it that I have yet to run but it's injecting about 12" prior to Y bridge . I know I can inject NOS Pre Intercooler but it's more expensive. I know I would have the initial cost of the meth kit but once in there it's much cheaper . Anybody with first hand knowledge ? What kits are best if I decide to do one ?

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States
Why not just move your jet ,and line from y bridge to pre intercooler. Then mess with the jet's until you get the temp your after? I don't understand how it would be more expensive to use what you already have.

jpowel29

Feb 1, 2008
Bentonville, Arkansas
I've run a small jet in the hot side boost pipe and ProMeth nozzles on the cold side. Works great. I didn't use that much nitrous on a pass. I didn't want the water/meth running through the intercooler but I assume it shouldn't be that much of an issue. I was more surprised how much water/meth I ran through during street driving (although I did have two nozzles).

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
I would just use it when I plan on hammering down . I don't think it's getting that hot until I'm into the high boost levels like 85--100

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
what are post intercooler temps? why are you concerned with pre intercooler temps? is it just the blistering thats bugging you or are other issues arrising?

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
No other issues , just thought/know that if I bring those temps down pre Intercooler to something closer to normal there is more power to be had . I don't know what my post Intercooler temps are . I can tell you that the powder coating is not blistered nor does it melt anything that's touching the boost pipe going to Y bridge . All connections are V banded except boost connections on the 69s which only see 25-30 psi.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
The higher the difference between the compressed air and the atmospheric air the more heat the intercooler will dissipate. I know you're looking to drop temps but there is more performance to be gained injecting post intercooler.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
No other issues , just thought/know that if I bring those temps down pre Intercooler to something closer to normal there is more power to be had . I don't know what my post Intercooler temps are . I can tell you that the powder coating is not blistered nor does it melt anything that's touching the boost pipe going to Y bridge . All connections are V banded except boost connections on the 69s which only see 25-30 psi.

if i were you, i would only be concerned with the temps entering your engine. that is where the power is being made after all. i would concern myself much more with the temp entering the engine. Those chargers are gunna be making some hot air (think about how much are you are compressing the air, 85-100psi is alot in the nvery quick time its doing it in).

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
Understood that's why my NOS is setup post Intercooler. I may just spray a small jet of NOS pre Intercooler as well instead of water/methanol , I'm running a 15 # bottle any way . Not sure yet though .

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
I wanted to chime in here, I built my own meth kit for much cheaper than one of those electronic nightmares. I only ran it when racing with a hobbs adj pressure switch set at desired boost to start spraying and an arming switch. I think you can find my thread on it either here or duramaxforum. I ran my to start spraying at 17lbs (i left the line at dirt drags at 15lbs). Cost was much cheaper and i think the setup was more efficient. all you need is.
methanol pump (a good one high psi)
Nozzle and fitting (i ran 2)
Solenoid
relay
wires
plastic air brake tubing or meth injection lines
Adj pressure switch mounted in the boost tube 1/8npt is what i got from Napa
arming switch
I had a small led wired in on my pillar to show when the meth was hitting, thats optional. you will need some sort of way to adjust the pressure switch i used a homemade boost leak tester i had to set the pressure. Anyway, thats my 2cents. I ran 50% meth most of the time sometimes higher when i was feeling froggy