Water/Meth or Propane MPG? HP?

For-Sale

Jul 10, 2009
im reading some guys getting 28+mpg how are you doing it? are you using water/meth? Propane? what are the reasons for using these(Pros-Cons) I.e. Cost of system,MPG, Hp, Cost of use Im new to diesel but not turbo so i understand water/meth a little but mostly i thought it was to help prevent detonation thats not a problem with a diesel lol thanks for the help ill also some of my own searching/researching also

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
x2 on what kevinL said.
IIRC "stingpuller" is running a NG system, he might chime in.
I cant see water/meth having a big impact on MPG, i also got it for egt reduction while towing.

Killerbee

Got Honey?
Neither has a large impact on miles per "gallon".

But as a value, if you are towing especially, water will help the most with economy assuming you pay nothing for it. Once you factor in ALL cost, this has the largest payback.

You have to use it to optimize induction, chemical intercooling.

You won't get 28 mpg with it, but you can get a 14 mpg load out of a 11-12 mpg load, nearly 10%. Plus there are longevity benefits...you don't get that with fuels typically.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Ive been running 10-20 percent meth when towing and 20-30 when empty.

I usually mix it in those Culligan type 5 gallon containers. 4 gallons water 1 meth. throw a few of them in the bed for a trip and either add water or meth to top off the 7 gallon tank.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
how does it increase gas mileage? how much is methanol and where do i get it.

Think it depends upon the kit you go with too. I dont think all the systems are made to increase mpgs. someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

The system I have has a small low flow nozzel that is a steady spray based on boost psi. So as you cruise down the road there is a small amount spraying in.

Check fuel oil suppliers for methanol. I get it at a place that delivers gas and oil. Last month I paid $110 for 55 gallons.