Water leak

t.rider.013

Sep 1, 2019
Well got the light issue fixed. Had a donor truck that I pulled both wiring pigtails. Fixed that issue. Now a new one has come to light. So here in utah we’ve been getting a lot of rain lately and now I noticed my weather tech plastic mat on driver side is full of water been looking around and people are saying stuff from windshield leaking to the driver side door seal. Where do I start on that issue? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
You’re just going to have to spray the truck down with water and see where it’s coming in at. It could be a number of things.

t.rider.013

Sep 1, 2019
Been doin that for the last hour. I checked in the little hide out spot in the driver side kick panel behind the e brake and hood latch. I’ve also checked the cowl up front by the windshield and also visually looked up under the dash to see if it’s wet or moist and everything under there is dry and dusty.

t.rider.013

Sep 1, 2019
No running light, has the shark fin antenna for radio, windshield never been replaced or tampered with, no sunroof, solid rear window non sliding, I was thinking about the 3rd brake light but wouldn’t I have water on both sides and also in the back on the floor? The driver side floor is dry up the firewall but drenched by the door and in the little wiring channel.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Possibly coming in thru HVAC box or thru hole/tear/rip in rubber accordion boot between door and body?

t.rider.013

Sep 1, 2019
I just now pulled the plastic pillar piece and there standing water on one of the clips that is closest to the ceiling pad. I tightened the shark fin and the 3rd brake light just now. What else can cause the water to be that high up?

t.rider.013

Sep 1, 2019
Could I still be looking at door seals? The main seal that goes around just the door
Not the one that goes from back of truck to the front.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
My lb7 was the same. Only wet on one side. No leaks anywhere but I put some silicone on my 3rd brake light and it dried out. Very well could be your issue. The rubber seal on the back of the light gets hard and doesn’t seal anymore after the bulb has been changed in it. I bet your antenna has a slight leak too

t.rider.013

Sep 1, 2019
So your thinking the 3rd brake light is leaking in the head board stuff following the wires to
The front (my truck is on an incline nose down) going to the driver side and making it’s way into the pillar and from there it makes it way to the floor?

t.rider.013

Sep 1, 2019
Just to eliminate the shark fin how do you seal that up? I just ordered a new seal for the 3rd brake light in hopes that is the issue.

t.rider.013

Sep 1, 2019
Hahaha so I found the leak. You guys were right it’s at the windshield. I started the truck let it run for half hour with heat on and from the outside I mixed soap and water and started spraying all windows, shark fin, onstar dome, then the windshield is where it started bubbling pretty bad. Top left corner right above the driver side. Next question.... what can I use to dyi seal it?

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Unfortunately you can not just put anything on it and expect it to seal properly. I have seen so many products used to attempt to repair a leak like this including window urethane and the only real way to fix it is to have the glass pulled and re installed or replaced. It might work temporarily but it will leak again.

If the original glass was ever pulled, its possible there is Rust on the pinch weld. This can bubble up the urethane and provide a source for the water to get past and leak in.