Wastegate Questions

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
So this will be my first endevour into wastegates. Long story short, my real close friend (who bought my caged roller) is going to be gating his up-pipes to help keep his GTX4508R (essentially a 80/87) alive. We're planning on doing a pair of 40mm Turbosmart high pressure gates (one per up-pipe) vented to his hood stack. Has anyone done something like this and possibly has some pictures for inspiration?

I will then be doing mine as well on my compound turbo LB7 around the itty bitty 364.5/68 back into the exhaust crossover pipe feeding the S480.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I do remember a discussion about it before. Tuning them was an lot of work and I don't remember if they abandoned them or what. I don't remember who it was Tony or Mark maybe. It could have been on Bcdeutch truck.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Turbo in the Valley/ stock position? Is he planning on Spaying the house down on the single? I personally wouldn't go the the effort of doing duel wastegates without doing some sort of front facing manifolds so you can place the wastegates in a priority flow position.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Turbo in the Valley/ stock position? Is he planning on Spaying the house down on the single? I personally wouldn't go the the effort of doing duel wastegates without doing some sort of front facing manifolds so you can place the wastegates in a priority flow position.
Yes, turbo will be in the valley. Planning on spraying it quite a bit to reach our goal ET wise.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Is that a twin scroll housings that your trying to keep divided? Definitely can do duel wastegates but if you can a single 50mm or 60mm it should flow almost as much or more than the 40mm's and would make your plumbing and maintenance easier.