Wagler Mahle pistons

BIGBAD

Jul 30, 2018
So I have a set of mahle race cast pistons with reliefs that I plan on using in a build but was told by a shop that Wagler uses there own bowl design. The same piston that they delip. Is this true ? Do they remachine the mahle race cast piston? Or is the piston from Wagler untouched from Mahle. Thanks for any input.

BIGBAD

Jul 30, 2018
Post a picture of them.

I don't have any from Wagler. i have a set of Mahle race cast from socal w reliefs and was going to order some other parts from Wagler and was told that the pistons with that cut is not a wise choice. I would be better to use the Mahle race cast from Wagler as they have there own bowl design, or that they delip the Mahle race cast. I thought the only thing out there was mahle race cast, or fingers. wasn't aware of any other modded mahle race cast pistons.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I don't have any from Wagler. i have a set of Mahle race cast from socal w reliefs and was going to order some other parts from Wagler and was told that the pistons with that cut is not a wise choice. I would be better to use the Mahle race cast from Wagler as they have there own bowl design, or that they delip the Mahle race cast. I thought the only thing out there was mahle race cast, or fingers. wasn't aware of any other modded mahle race cast pistons.

Your pistons are fine, don't worry about them. SoCal is arguably one of if not the best in the business when it comes to duramax performance. They are likely concerned with the reliefs causing a hot spot. Many people have run those pistons with stellar results.

Chilly

Dec 4, 2018
It’s my understanding that Wagler only de-lips the Mahle factory replacement pistons, not the Mahle performance/race cast versions as they are already de-lipped from Mahle. I could be wrong though. Maybe Wagler orders pistons in full cast form similar to what Fingers does?

Mahle factory replacement pistons, then Mahle performance/race, then Fingers.. In order of strength.

Last edited:

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
It’s my understanding that Wagler only de-lips the Mahle factory replacement pistons, not the Mahle performance/race cast versions as they are already de-lipped from Mahle. I could be wrong though. Maybe Wagler orders pistons in full cast form similar to what Fingers does?

Mahle factory replacement pistons, then Mahle performance/race, then Fingers.. In order of strength.

You have that backwards. Fingers are stronger

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin

You have that backwards. Fingers are stronger

Like said above, fingers are the strongest cast piston that we have available to us. Mahle performance/race cast are the second strongest, with the Mahle OE piston coming in last (not the OE replacement, the actual GM piston from LB7/LLY).

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!

I meant post a picture of your pistons.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Mahle has pricing and part numbers out for an OE replacement piston that is delipped. No production yet. Just an fyi. Another option to confuse everyone.....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
Mahle race cast is a really good piston. I've used them on 4 built/multiturbo engines. They have a very very, slight lip, almost none and much less than stock. The crown-close as I could measure is .120" thicker than stock LLY.