VGT turbo controller for lb7??

Djm71199

Apr 7, 2020
Title basically explains what I’m looking for... I know what hardware I need, but I’m not sure what I have to do in order for the turbo controller. All I’m chasing with this swap is the sound. It’s not going to be a tow rig, race truck, or anything like that. I plan to do a swap into my escalade once I buy my new truck and want it to sound good, lol. Also if this isn’t in the right place please let me know or move it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Djm71199

Apr 7, 2020
Moved to Turbo Talk. Cant say Ive heard many people put a VVT on an LB7. Good luck.
Thank you sorry, didn't see a turbo talk sub forum! But I saw a youtube video of it and they sound amazing! I'm sure people will call it stupid, but I personally enjoy the sound of a VGT Duramax , especially for what I have planned!

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
It is doable with either a small PLC (Stamp for instance) or a feedback analog circuit. Making it "smart" would require a lot of work, but a simple boost control is rather easy. These are non-ECM stand alone solutions.

Reactions: Djm71199

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
It’s been done. Never done to work like factory.

You’d be better off putting an lly top end on your truck or selling it and getting another truck.

Djm71199

Apr 7, 2020
So I've decided to take the lly top end route lol, does it have to be lly or can it be lbz? New to this whole thing, but not to engines. I've worked on a lot of gas vehicles but not diesels. Heads, injectors, ecm, ficm, turbo, what else would I need..?

Djm71199

Apr 7, 2020
Quick question actually, ideally would it be more reliable to just get an lly? Or is the lb7 transmission/drivetrain just as reliable?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
It would be a hell of a lot easier to just get an lly truck. Overall the same drivetrain as the lb7, but better

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
I'm curious to see if DPS will release a kit for the duramax? They have VVT kits for cummins currently on the s300 and s400 turbo platforms that may be an option

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
No . It's all different l5p vs previous years. The only way to do that is how banks is currently doing it cummins style with the notched fluid dampr.
I have modified my plans a little, but I did get a sub box ordered from MTI Acoustics. I got a stage 1 with up firing and recessed subs. I had it finished in black carpet and picked up an emblem to figure out something cool to the front of the box. I’m hoping to have the box next week.
View attachment 104325
I believe if you have a s300/400 then it should work.
Believe you are correct, wonder how hard it would be to dial in

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I'm curious to see if DPS will release a kit for the duramax? They have VVT kits for cummins currently on the s300 and s400 turbo platforms that may be an option
That uses a mechanical wastegate controller on a vgt turbo. It works, but would defeat the purpose of having an on demand turbo brake, and have you running sky high boost killing your mpg's at cruise I would think.