Used 143k LLY

JTowns

Jul 7, 2020
Please excuse me if this is the wrong section.

I'm a new home owner and I'm in the market for a used pick up to take care of things around the house and maybe be a daily driver. I found a 2003 2500 6.0 gasser I liked for a decent price but before I took the dive I decided to see what I could find if I stretched my budget a little.

I came across a 2004.5 LLY with 143k, for $13,000. I was all in on jumping on it because I've always liked diesels but never owned one. Before I reach out to the seller I decided to do some diesel research and learned a lot; mainly about injector issues with the LB7 and head gaskets on the LLY.

My issue now is while I want the truck the prospect of spending 6k for a head gasket job within the next year scares me to death. I have a some skill turning wrenches but only on gas engines and nothing close as big of a job as this. I also don't have a space to do the job. My brain says stick with the gasser as I would almost never need the extra towing power of the Duramax but my heart and every other part of me wants the diesel. Do you guys think 13k for a 143,000 mile LLY is a good deal or am playing roulette?

BTW the truck is lifted on 37s, but there's no mentions of tuning or engine mods in the ad.

Thanks for any help or advise in advance.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Moved to Smoke Signals. Why in the world would you want a truck with 37s and unknown history if all you want is a hauling truck? There are other unmolested trucks out there for less $$.

JTowns

Jul 7, 2020
Moved to Smoke Signals. Why in the world would you want a truck with 37s and unknown history if all you want is a hauling truck? There are other unmolested trucks out there for less $$.

Honestly that's the best price Duramax I've come across. Here in NC people are asking 18k for dogged out work trucks with 300,000+ miles. If I could find an unmodded one for less or equal money I'd jump all over it.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Honestly that's the best price Duramax I've come across. Here in NC people are asking 18k for dogged out work trucks with 300,000+ miles. If I could find an unmodded one for less or equal money I'd jump all over it.

Instead of looking only in NC (which is known to be grossly overpriced) why don't you expand your search radius? Nothing a plane ticket or a buddy with a car can't fix.