Upgrade to electric fan clutch?

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
So I noticed there is an electric fan clutch on the later Dmax engines, the HMMWV I am re-powering has a hydraulic fan clutch and I always liked the idea of controlling the fan using the coolant temp rather than the temp. of the air moving across the clutch, I also love the idea that the fan can be removed so it is easier to mess with the clutch.
So the question is why does it have 5 wires? does it have variable "modes"?
can it be used in a stand alone (using a temperature switch) mode on a LMM?

mopar3

Aug 16, 2017
It has five wires because there's a 3 wire speed sensor and a control solenoid.

gmc502

Jan 16, 2011
for controlling the speed of the fan,,ecm uses the data and adjust accordingly

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
So it uses PWM to control the solenoid? I wonder if it would be OK to just be all or nothing, like the hydraulic clutch on the HMMWV

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Should be. I ran a lb7/lly fan at 100% lock up with a billet hub and Adam ran a LMM 3500hd with the same billet hub as a hot shot.

Our fans ran all the time but we also hardly ever were unhitched from a trailer and I just swapped to a normal clutch durning the winter

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Some of the 6.5 guys have been using the 09 van fan and evc fan clutch on there rigs as they're notorious for overheating. 3 wires are for the hall effect speed sensor and 2 go to the heating element in the evc. They are not an instant on design. They basically covered over the spring on the front of the fan clutch and put a heating element in it to vary the lockup. So you have a few seconds delay between when you power it on and it goes to full engagement. Hayden has said you can run full 12 volts to them with no damage. A few have been using them for a few years now with no problems.

It's a long thread, but it's the only one I know of with guys using the evc with manual control.

https://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/electric-fan-clutch.44326/

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Moved this over to Hard Parts section. Garage Builds is for the actual build thread.