Updates to The Dumpster

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Some of you may have noticed that The Dumpster has been absent for the past two years. It fell victim to something most self employed business owners are familiar with. I started working on it in February last year, but while waiting for some parts, I got busy and covered up to the point that I couldn't even think about working on it. I got a few big long term projects turned out of the shop in the past few months, and I now don't feel so bad about pulling my own long term project in even if I do have some customer jobs I could be working on. The NHRDA world finals is coming up in a few weeks, and I'm hoping to have it all together and ready to race for that event. Here's what will be new/changed:

1. Before it got totally pushed to the back of the line last year, I moved the motor back about 7" from the factory location. This should help a lot with traction off the line and weight transfer. I just have to get the transmission back together and get the trans crossmember mounted.

2. I'm going back through the transmission to make sure it is in good shape for the new changes. There are a few upgrades I would like to do, but I may just wait until winter for that. One of the things I was waiting on last year was a refreshed and slightly higher stall converter I had Dave at Goerend put together for me.

3. Another upgrade I was working on last year before I ran out of time was a new turbo. The van doghouse leaves little room for a turbo to be mounted in the factory location, but the relocation of the motor further back leaves quite a bit more room in front of the motor. In preparation for this, I will be front mounting an S472 that I got from HTT. I'll still have the nitrous on it, but this should really up the fuel only power.

4. Also last year, I purchased a lightly used Exergy 12mm CP3 pump. I had been buying up parts to piece together my own dual CP3 kit, but when I came across a deal on an upgraded pump, the weight savings and simplicity of a single pump was too much for me to ignore. I'm hoping this will supply me with enough fuel to run deep into the 10s or maybe even high 9s once I finally build the motor and get a proper chassis under this thing.

4. The last major upgrade I'll be doing is some bigger injectors. I'll be sending my injectors off to F1 Diesel to have Don work up some 100% over nozzles for me. Most people have probably forgotten about F1, but they are still turning out good injectors at good prices.

I'm considering a few other possible changes, but for now, that is all I have planned. I'm excited to see what it does at the track. I'm sure it will take a little learning to get it as dialed in as it was with the old tried and true setup.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
That's awesome Josh, I can't wait to hear how the new setup performs. On a side note, I really know how things get put on the back burner when you start a business. I'm impressed you're making headway on the Dumpster :thumb:

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
Why only 7" just curious as I know zero about vans. That being said, how far back can you move an engine "legally"? Thanks for the update tho, I keep up with the dumpster as much as I can. :thumb:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Why only 7" just curious as I know zero about vans. That being said, how far back can you move an engine "legally"? Thanks for the update tho, I keep up with the dumpster as much as I can. :thumb:

That was as far as I could move it without cutting the floor. 7" is a pretty significant move though. Should make a noticeable difference in balance and weight transfer. The engine is now fully behind the front axle centerline.

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
Yes you have been swamped for a few years. I remember seeing that turbo when you first got it. I'm happy for you my friend. Awesome!

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Glad to see progress on this thing! Is the 472 a sxe or just a 472?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Been wondering about this for a while...

To refresh my memory, you run a 4L85 with a trans brake, right? Full manual valve body or still electronically controlled?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
awesome josh!!! i really cant wait to see the dumpster haulin ass down the strip! :woott::woott:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Glad to see progress on this thing! Is the 472 a sxe or just a 472?
I'm not really sure to be honest. When I got it last year, I don't think the SXE turbos were out yet, but it was supposed to be some sort of new design compressor wheel that was kicking butt in some import drag racing class. It has an 87mm turbine wheel and a 1.0 housing.
Been wondering about this for a while...

To refresh my memory, you run a 4L85 with a trans brake, right? Full manual valve body or still electronically controlled?
Yes, 4L85E with trans brake that is still shifted electronically.
Will you be able to pull the wheels off the ground Josh?:happy2:
I can always hope! :roflmao:

thneill

Whered all my $ go
Aug 23, 2011
East Texas
cant wait for world finals. saw the dumpster run at north star a few years ago. coolest thing id seen in a while. cant wait to see it again.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
That cool Josh, but I cant beleive its been 2 year already. I though that you're at the limits of the trans with the stock turbo and spray?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
Always very cool to see the van out there mixing it up.

Have you considered modifying the dog house to fit the 72 on the back of the engine vs. having it in front of the engine? Moving turbo weight forward negates a little of the desired 7" setback effect. How much I don't know but it all counts. Either way, glad to hear you'll have it back out soon.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Awesome Josh! Can't wait to see it back in action!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
That cool Josh, but I cant beleive its been 2 year already. I though that you're at the limits of the trans with the stock turbo and spray?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
There are guys pushing these transmissions behind engines producing 2000 hp in the gasser world. Brett is running a TH400 in his truck which is the same transmission without the overdrive section or a locking torque converter. I'm not sure it will hold up to what I have planned in its current form, but in sure I can make it live with a few more upgrades.

Always very cool to see the van out there mixing it up.

Have you considered modifying the dog house to fit the 72 on the back of the engine vs. having it in front of the engine? Moving turbo weight forward negates a little of the desired 7" setback effect. How much I don't know but it all counts. Either way, glad to hear you'll have it back out soon.
you are correct. Having the turbo in front will be a little less than ideal, but being able to mount the turbo in front was a big part of my decision to move the motor back. There's just no room to mount it anywhere else without creating a plumbing nightmare or creating a lot of extra fab work or both. I need to talk to you about a blanket soon.

So I have a few more things to add to the list. I have a set of rods that I've been planning to use in a build for my single cab LMM at some point. I also have a SoCal 9100 cam that I really wanted to throw in the motor, but I have stock pistons without valve reliefs. I made the decision today to do a quick budget build.

meshanic

All In Trucks
Dec 9, 2010
West Texas
Glad to see the dumpster coming back around! You always put on a good show. Honestly you made stock motor 10s look easy. Really it's damn hard lol

Since you're doing a motor build, you know that 72/87.10 can handle lots & lots of spray:D